Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surferboi2005

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Is it worth getting the 3g version over the wifi. I was thinking of tethering my android to use it but im moving overseas for school next year so i just think taking back my ipad and getting the 3g version would be better.. What do you think since you have the 3g

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Is it worth getting the 3g version over the wifi. I was thinking of tethering my android to use it but im moving overseas for school next year so i just think taking back my ipad and getting the 3g version would be better.. What do you think since you have the 3g

3G is not locked to ATT, and therefore should work with overseas data sim cards/plans (better to get ATT vs Verizon for this reason), according to one thing I had read.

3G has GPS (which also can come in handy).

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Ther eis a promotion right now. Anyone can get this. I believe it is for the postpaid plans, but not the prepaid ones.

Joey225

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
New Jersey
I just set up the 3G on my AT&T model and saw no option for postpaid, nor the free month they advertise on their site. So how do I go about finding how to sign up for the post paid plan?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I just set up the 3G on my AT&T model and saw no option for postpaid, nor the free month they advertise on their site. So how do I go about finding how to sign up for the post paid plan?
You have to call customer service or visit a store (see here). This is also true for deactivating it (which is why I will stay with the prepaid option, since I like to be able to simply turn it on and off in the settings).

And yes, the free month is available to everyone who signs up for the 2GB postpaid plan, see here.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I personally have GOT to have 3g

Some here claim they don't need 3g because Wifi is usually everywhere they are.

In my case, it isn't. I travel around my city daily and rarely if ever will I find Wifi in most places AND I need a connection most of the time.

So, it is mandatory for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.