Free 9800GTX !!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacVidCards, Oct 27, 2009.

1. MacVidCards Suspended

OK, I'm getting really frustrated with our lack of progress on the Nvidia EFI ROM stitching effort.

While we have been able to craft some working ATI ROMs using EFI from one married to BIOS from another, we have done no such thing with Nvidia.

FYI....quite likely we could add many Nvidia cards once we figure the mechanics of Nvidia ROM stitching.

to whit: I am offering a FREE EVGA 9800GTX to someone who thinks they can do the job. These cards almost, sorta work with EFI32 8800GT ROM. (garbled boot screen, crash) So they are close cousins and would be a logical first step.

Ideal Candidate:

1. Have a EFI32 Mac Pro
    2. Comfy using a Hexeditor
    3. Basic understanding of Device id
    4. Time and patience
    5. PCIE PC to do reflashes when it gets buggered
    6. Interest in helping Mac community as a whole for minimal return
    7. Some means of deciphering EFI

(or some combo of above with some serious computer skills)

My feeling is that there is more to this then I can do alone. I have tried using pipolomo42s scripts and it doesn't work. I feel there is perhaps a "GOTO" type address pointer in EFI part that isn't lining up with sewn in PC BIOS when I replace.

Maybe this won't interest anybody, maybe it will. Once I send you the 9800GTX it is yours to do with as you please, I won't expect it back, even if you don't ever get it working.

The resulting ROM becomes property of Macrumours community to be freely used by anyone who wants a GPU upgrade.

I am hopeful that anything learned could perhaps be applied to creating ROMs for the GT200 series of cards using the GTX285 as template.

But we won't get anyplace if we don't start taking some steps. I have 2 of these cards so I will keep one of them here to work with you, test, etc. I can offer advice about setting the softstraps correctly.

Ideally this is a pipomolo42 or Netkas type person, possibly someone brilliant who has been lurking silently. Here is your chance to shine. I will send the card anywhere on the planet, shipping is not an issue.

Where's our next genius?

2. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Why not just use a injector like NVDarwin.kext? I am using that card right now. Works great!

3. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

I have used Netkas ATY_init package and it works well...within limits.

The main limit being that on Mac Pro, the use of Nvidia cards with his package also requires an Nvidia EFI "helper" card.

Goal is to end up with card tht can do the boot selection screen in a Mac Pro. I think NVDarwin is more for Hackintoshes, yes?

Really trying to learn more about how the EFI hands the card to the BIOS for remainder of boot. If it is contributing RAM speeds, would like to figure out how and thus how to change.

4. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Nvdarwin works the same on mac as a pc. Sounds like you do need Efi with what want. I have an 8800 and 9800 on one mac pro using nvdarwin. I keep a gt120 close by in case of boot issues. Haven't had to use it in since I got the mac pro.