Free advertising in App Store forums

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by plasticparadox, Apr 2, 2009.

1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

OK, I don't like the fact that some App Store devs promote their PAID apps in the forum. I think they should have to purchase regular ad space like everyone else. Many of these developers are on newbie accounts and obviously don't contribute anything to the community. They are here to take.

When I'm looking for objective user reviews on apps, I don't like having to sift through developers' self-promoting threads.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Examples?

Have you used the report post button?

3. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We made a decision early on to allow commercial posts in the App Store forum (and only that forum) in order to support developers. For the most part, these are small developers with few means of gaining exposure for their apps and not nearly enough capital to support an advertising budget.

The policy is under continual observation and is subject to change should we deem it necessary, so we do appreciate your feedback.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I don't mind that macrumors allow for this. There have been a coupleof apps I otherwise would not have know about if it wasn't for MR.
    Some of the apps I have no use for while some I do.

There have been some apps where I have been one of the fortunate ones to get a free offering with a review. Most of the cevs take the reviews to heart to make their apps better.

Win win win for developers, users, and traffic for macrumors

6. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for the information.