Free Agent Go Mac external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by copper.mason, Dec 29, 2009.

1. copper.mason macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently bought a Seagate Free agent go pro for mac external hard drive it is 500GB and 7200 RPM. I have a Ibook G4 1.33 GHZ. From the get go when i first plugged it in it would not show up on the desk top. I eventually got it to show up by just plugging in and unplugging it through the USB. I put pictures and videos on it and ejected it properly now when i try to access it again it will not show up. Under about this mac>more info> USB it shows up but not on the desktop where i can access it. Disk utility will not recognize it either. Sometimes when i plug it in it lights up and then slowly dies back down like it is going to sleep. Any advice helps Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post.

Does that drive have a USB cable with three ends on it, one for plugging that into the HDD, and two for plugging it into the USB ports of your iBook?

If it only has two ends, plug the bigger one in the port next to the miniVGA port, as that is the high powered USB port, which is needed to power the HDD.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Try it with another Mac. If it exhibits the same symptoms your issue is with the cable or the drive itself. If it works just fine with another computer you're looking at a possible USB port issue with your iBook.