Free (AIM?) SMS in Australia?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Erasmus, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Hi everyone!
    I have tried searching Google and MacRumours, but can't find anything to answer my question.
    Can I, as an owner of a 2G iPod Touch living in Australia, use something like an AIM client, or anything else, to send free SMS? If so, how? If not, why not?
    Thanks.

2. a7xsteve macrumors newbie

So you just wanna use aol instant messenger? Well there's an app for that, but the cheaper (free) way is to just use Safari (iPod touch web browser) and got to meebo.com. It allows you to use AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and a few other Instant Messaging programs for free. They work great on the iPod touch.

3. archi17 macrumors regular

4. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I can't seem to even log into the AIM app properly, using either an australian login or an american one. I can use iChat to log in, but when I try and use the iPod AIM app, it keeps throwing up the login window.

5. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

6. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I don't see how this helps. No Telstra, no Vodafone Australia, etc.
    I only know one person living in America right now, and Facebook messages work perfectly fine there.

I want to know if it is possible for me, living in Australia, to use my iPod Touch (or maybe I'll generalise to the Internet) to send free SMS to other Australian Mobile Phones. I recognise that it is possible to send SMS to US phones, but this is not useful to me.

7. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No, because we don't get SMS free here it seems. You want to move to the US, because they do. Although if you did that, you'd probably get shot. So you should move to Japan instead.