Free Anti Virus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Luke_227, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Luke_227 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Newbie question so apologies if this has been asked before. I have just purchased a Mac Mini and am making the move from Windows to OSX.

Whilst OSX is less susceptible to viruses than Windows, do you still recommend using anti virus software on OSX?

If so, what (ideally free) application do you use? I have heard Aviva is good but want something that isn't going to slow down the performance of the Mac.

Thanks
    Luke

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most people here (including me) will tell you such software is not needed. Practice safe computing habits, i.e., be aware of what/where you download from. Do not blindly enter your admin password when randomly prompted, etc.

I use Avast for the PC, they do offer a free version for the Mac as well as the PC, so you can look into that if you still want to install antivirus.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Avast or Sophos if you're looking for a free one on OS X.

However as maflynn mentioned it's not really necessary. Just avoid stuff like 'CleanMyMac', which is malware/adware anyway. If you get an application like that, drag it into AppCleaner to completely remove all traces of it. Or use MalwareBytes for Mac to remove any malicious addons - there are far less points of infection on OS X.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Peruse through this forum and you'll find numerous threads on the subject.

5. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Do you use the free or paid Avast for your PC? I'm asking for my Windows VM.

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Personally, the only AV I trust on a Mac is CLamXav, but it's no longer free ($30) and it's relatively lightweight. However, it's one of the few programs that I haven't heard of messing up OS X at some point or causing Kernel Panics.

7. sarah362 macrumors newbie

IMHO, No you do not need an AV software for Mac. I have been running 2 Mac Mini from last 3 years and never ever faced any requirement of installing AV on Mac. You may get an ad-blocker since Safari is vulnerable to adware but AV programs aren't recommended. Some tools like Sophos for Mac only confuses the user when they report trojans/viruses/malware from nowhere.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife's PC is the free version, and on my SP3, I have the full blown paid subscription.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Once ClamXav went paid, I switched to Sophos - so far, so good with it. I didn't like Avast because there is no scheduled scan option, and (I don't believe) any way to do an "on-demand" scan on an individual file.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OS X is not MS-DOS. If there were any viruses on the Mac, then a "scheduled scan option" would be worthless. The thing that killed viruses on the Mac back in the System 7 days was that files are scanned as the file system first sees them. New viruses were intercepted before they had a chance to infect anything.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've had 8 Macs since 1985. Not a single one has ever had a virus or Malware. Practice safe computing, don't install anything from C|Net (their downloads contain malware and adware), watch out for fake e-mails. The only Mac I have that had problems was a MacBook Air, and it was due to me falling whilst holding water. Took $700 to fix, but now it's fine. Never a real software problem either.