Free Anti Virus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anpaman, Jul 20, 2018.

1. anpaman macrumors newbie

Hi all

What is the best free anti virus for macbook pro ?

Thank

2. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

3. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Get a good adblocker like Adguard Pro, scan with Malwarebytes once a month, and you should be fine, provided you exercise some good computing habits, by not downloading and installing pirated software or software not identified by Apple GateKeeper etc. It would also be a good idea to use a reputable VPN, in my opinion.

5. The Hammer macrumors 6502

It won't hurt anything to have one. You probably don't need it for yourself. At the very least windows malware won't be passed along to people you know who use windows via email . Try Avast.

6. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

If you're going to get a free anitvirus I wouldn't trust it too much... And if you're using a Mac with common sense you shouldn't need one anyway.

7. 960design macrumors 68030

8. The Hammer macrumors 6502

9. Sackofnickels macrumors regular

Sackofnickels

10. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

11. The Hammer, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018

The Hammer macrumors 6502

There are other pages in there concerning Mac OS that should be looked at.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2018 ---
    I went to sleep last night thinking about this. Again thank you for the Gatekeeper info link. Piniform the maker of CCCleaner is not Avast. The parent anti-malware company (Avast )itself was never compromised. CCCleaner is more of a OS maintenance program than it is anti malware and was only recently acquired by Avast. And it was Avast that helped out Piniform. So I stand by the premise that it doesn't hurt to have an Anti malware program on the computer. Free doesn't = bad. It just means a reduced feature set. As I for one don't need a password manager for instance. I also want to make sure that Im not sitting smugly behind a Maginot Line.

12. 960design macrumors 68030

Here's a bit more to think about:

Kaspersky
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/323...he-kaspersky-antivirus-hack-really-means.html

BitDefender
    https://thehackernews.com/2015/07/bitdefender-hacked.html

Several
    https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/42688/hacking/antivirus-critical-vulnerability.html

And many more. It's part of my job to look for system vulnerabilities. I typically start with AntiVirus installed as it gives me root access to the machine. There are exploits for most AV software in the wild.

To be fair there were exploits for Mac OS X High Sierra. The good news is that the developer ( Apple ) worked quickly to patch those up. There are also Intel Chip set hacks. Again Apple has been quick to help out.

No system is 100% safe.

Just try not to do something silly, like allow your son's best friend plug in a USB stick or get on the free WiFi at hotels or other gathering places.

13. eco7777 macrumors regular

14. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

Unnecessary resources spent.
    The problem with anti virus software for a Mac is there is no know Virus for MacOS, so what exactly is it looking for?

15. The Hammer macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get hung up on the word virus. Malware would be a better fits it encompasses a variety things such as but not limited to trojans and ransomeware, and there is stuff lurking out there for the Mac OS.