Free app creation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric8199, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I've got a question. Is there a place where you can get the software for free to try and create an app? I'm not trying to score a free version of 3.0, I can wait until summer. I just have some ideas for apps, and I'd like to see if I can actually create something before wasting $99. If I can create something, then I pay the fee and upload my apps to the store...If I can't, I'm not out anything.

I'm thinking this isn't an option, but I'd love to tinker with it if it is. I'm not serious enough about it to spend the money though right now, unless I know I can get some return from it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

You can download the SDK from Apple for free... Basically, the $99 lets you upload and sell your apps in the app store.

The SDK gets you everything, the simulator, xcode and the interface builder, among other things.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ You can register and download it from there.

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You need to become a licensed developer before testing out your apps, firmware, etc.
    Sorry.

4. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

To clarify, you need to pay the fee to test your apps on an iPhone/iPod, but there is a simulator that you can use as part of the free SDK. This should do you fine for just testing your ideas out.

Also, only paid developers currently have access to the 3.0 beta, but 2.2.1 should be enough for you too see if you are able to use the development environment.

5. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks guys. I appreciate the help. That's exactly what I was looking for. If I can actually get something going, I'll pay the fee. Otherwise I just want to tinker.

Thank you

6. ineedamac macrumors 6502

perhaps a dumb question...

If I want to try to develop an app must I have a Mac? Can I download the SDK etc and work on a Dell? Just want to know if I must go purchase a Mac first.

7. amorya macrumors 6502

Yeah, you need a Mac.

I'm running it on the cheapest Mac Mini they sold, and it runs fine, so it doesn't have to set you back loads of money. (My main Mac is a PowerMac G5, which doesn't officially run the simulator, so I bought the cheapest intel Mac.)

Amorya