Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I downloaded and installed the app. Still haven't signed in with it because I'm not sure I want to trust anyone except Amazon with that information.
Maybe someday, just not today.

Probably sensible... too late for me, then again I could just wireshark it and find out where all my credentials are going!

Brandenr

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
I wouldn't give Amazon my apple id credentials either.

You give Amazon your Amazon credentials, not your Apple credentials.

Reverb doesn't get any credentials for anything.
Probably sensible... too late for me, then again I could just wireshark it and find out where all my credentials are going!

You actually can't. The credentials were a one time thing directly to Amazon. They're not in the data to and from Reverb after that. Reverb and Alexa use HTTPS v2 and if you try to get in between the connection to watch data, that disrupts the security and data will no longer be sent properly until you stop monitoring it. It's a safety feature to keep the data safe built into iOS and macOS.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I keep seeing people say this but I don't agree. There have been times when Alexa doesn't get me an answer where Siri does and vice versa. As for the home control functionality, saw an article somewhere that addressed this. The Echo/Alexa system is more open where Apple's homekit is not. Developers were quoted saying Apple's system was slower to grow mainly due to the tight controls Apple is known for. They actually appreciated that more and felt in the end Apple's system would be more successful. It's kinda like the Apple/Android situation.
I use both. The Echo is great for sitting in a busy location since anybody can use it. It also has more skills, which gives it a few features you don't get on Siri.

However, Siri is on my wrist everywhere I go and controls Apple Music in my car and at work. I find them both to be very useful, but if I had to live with just one of them it would be Siri. It is there all the time, which means it is there with almost no effort when I need it. Apps like Reverb are definitely a step in the right direction, but there is still a gap between the usefulness of Siri and Echo in my use case with Siri being ahead because of it being on my phone, watch and Mac.

Note: I tested it with the Plex app on my Nvidia Shield and it works great. I plan on using this quite a bit on my Mac, so I set up an icon in the Better Touch Tool (Touchbar) to put it at my fingertips.

Last edited:
Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Just went into the App Store, went to Search and Reverb is the top of the Trending list.

Will have a play with it later.

mikepolinske

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Just tried this app on my iPhone to play my flash briefing while at work. Very nice. I did notice though that it didn't do the audio through my AirPods but through the phone.

Is this by design? Is Bluetooth planned for a future update?

Brandenr

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Just tried this app on my iPhone to play my flash briefing while at work. Very nice. I did notice though that it didn't do the audio through my AirPods but through the phone.

Is this by design? Is Bluetooth planned for a future update?

It was written while using wired headphones. I just tried my AirPods and you are correct, they don't work. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll add it to our list of features to work on.

Reactions: mikepolinske

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have Alexa, it's sitting in a corner as I figure out what to do with it. Been there since the holidays as it was a gift.

I use Siri to control my phone, so it does get used.
if you don't want it you can have it sent my way :)
[doublepost=1487628249][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1487545899][/doublepost]It is of relevance because that means you just have to go to your amazon account and remove the permission for Reverb and it would no longer have access. No need to change your password. It also means we can't just log into your account and make purchases or do anything else devious.

We wrote the app for us internally to use to test creating Alexa Skills without each of us needing an echo on our desk. We incurred the expense for ourselves and decided to make the app public so others could take advantage of it and the skills we make as well. We aren't harvesting any personal information or selling any of the data. In accordance of Amazon rules, we don't store the recording of the user or alexa anywhere except on the device for playback.
[doublepost=1487545962][/doublepost]

Each Alexa capable device/app has its own time zone and location that you can set in the Alexa app or at alexa.amazon.com.
[doublepost=1487546036][/doublepost]

We have gotten a few users saying that today. Please make sure you're holding the micrphone button while speaking and that you should see the blue light pulse while you speak. I'm going to look into this issue and get an update out as soon as possible.
Thanks for the app! If you guys have some time to add Siri support it would be amazing! Thanks to you guys now it's easier to be lazy and will use it to turn on my wemos using my MacBook Air while in the other room!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.