Free app to SSH wake my MacBook?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iKyle0990, Apr 5, 2011.

1. iKyle0990 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a lightweight, free app to wake up my MacBook remotely so that I can use the various media streaming apps available to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would also be willing to pay a dollar or two if it works well.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I've looked for the same thing but have never found any, and it's quite frustrating.

3. Lagranger, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Lagranger macrumors member

Not really a complete answer, but a few random comments:

• I assume you're already familiar with the fact that this is a two-step process? 1) Send a 'magic' Wake-On-LAN packet to the host machine to wake it up. 2) Connect via SSH once the host machine is awake and able to receive incoming network connections. There are a few SSH/remote desktop apps that roll both functions in together for convenience, but in fact they are two isolated concepts. (Sorry for being pedantic if you already know this)

• If your MacBook connects via wifi, it may not be possible to remotely wake it from sleep -- it may only work with machines on wired connections. (this *may* have changed, but that is the case with all of my circa 2009 Macs)

• Are you expecting to wake your MacBook from a remote location or just inside your LAN? If the former, you'll need to check and configure your router/firewall to support this.

• Off the top of my head, two apps that support Wake-On-LAN and SSH are iSSH and Remoter VNC. Both are incredibly useful but neither is free.

• Depending on how your MacBook is configured, you may need to do a remote desktop connection to it anyway -- if you have it set up so that waking the unit from sleep requires a password to resume, you'll need some way to enter the p/w before it times out and goes back to sleep and suspends any SSH sessions you might try to open.

Hope this helps somewhat.