Free Applications only if you purchased from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1madapple, Jan 30, 2008.

1. 1madapple macrumors member

1madapple

Hi i'm wondering if the Applications are free to those who only purchased from Apple?
    Would they NOT give me Applications at no cost if i purchased my ipod Touch from another online store?
    (I bought my ipod touch at the beginning of this month)

2. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

The applications are NOT free unless your iPod Touch already had OS Ver.1.1.3 installed when you bought it, in which case the applications were already installed.

If you had OS Ver. 1.1.2 in your iPod Touch you would have to get the free upgrade to Ver. 1.1.3 first. Then you have to buy the applications from iTunes Store for $19.99

3. 1madapple thread starter macrumors member

1madapple

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

If you paid full price (299, 399) you either :have the apps built in or that store made a mistake
    and if you paid $20 cheaper (279, 379) than you have to use that discount to buy the apps online because those models don't come with the apps.

5. 1madapple thread starter macrumors member

1madapple

No i got mine for $365, and after reading some threads about how people are getting their $20 back i got my hopes up that maybe mine could be free... but i guess not :(

6. slug420 macrumors regular

im browsing through threads to try to find an answer but....

can someone tell me how this works? I cant understand how apple is "enforcing" this. If I buy an ipt from apple.com and get the apps and it gets screwed up I can restore the software by reformatting it or whatever in itunes no? So in that state of being restored how does wherever you are getting your software from during the restore process know whether you initially had the apps or not?

Please remove this part of my post if needed (since its kind of illegal unless you are only doing so to restore an ipod offline or something) but is it not possible to just download a torrent with the 1.1.3 update and get the apps that way?

7. cjd82187 macrumors member

No, you cannot do that. The 1.1.3 update is free, and then you have to download another DRM protected file that unlocks the apps for your iPod. They are worth the 20 bucks... and if you can drop 300-400 dollars on a device, the extra 20 should not really break the bank.

8. slug420 macrumors regular

nah, it doesnt break the bank, just hurts my feelings.

my butt is still sore from paying for leopard....i like it but i dont see why it couldnt have been free

9. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

It's a matter of principle. Four days after I bought my Touch and two days after I paid for the extra applications, Apple made the applications free for new purchasers.

Fair??? I'm currently in an email battle trying to get a refund.

10. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you could have gone to the store you purchased it from and gotten an adjustment since the price went down by $20 since the apps were not on the stock in store