Free apps (GarageBand, Pages) disappeared now they cost $ in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozshadow, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ozshadow macrumors regular

We had issues with activation on my wife's iphone 6 and did a factory reset. The free apps like GarageBand, Pages, etc. never reappeared. In iTunes they have prices.

How do we get them back for free?

2. Angriff macrumors member

Look them up and buy them from the iPhone within the App Store app. They are only free for iOS devices purchased last September or later. If you have the same iTunes account on an older iOS device or iTunes on a computer then they will show up with their standard prices.

My ex-GF made the mistake several months ago of buying/downloading Pages on her iPad because she had gotten a new iPhone 5c and thought it would be free, but it cost her $9.99 because she did the purchase on the wrong device.

3. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Edit: Wait, I think I figured out what the other person meant. You need to look them up from the device itself, not elsewhere. They're in my purchased section.

4. Angriff macrumors member

If they're showing a price on iTunes he hasn't purchased them, he'll need to either search them by name or look for the page where it lists all Apps published by Apple.