Free apps (GarageBand, Pages) disappeared now they cost $ in iTunes

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
We had issues with activation on my wife's iphone 6 and did a factory reset. The free apps like GarageBand, Pages, etc. never reappeared. In iTunes they have prices.

How do we get them back for free?

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
Look them up and buy them from the iPhone within the App Store app. They are only free for iOS devices purchased last September or later. If you have the same iTunes account on an older iOS device or iTunes on a computer then they will show up with their standard prices.

My ex-GF made the mistake several months ago of buying/downloading Pages on her iPad because she had gotten a new iPhone 5c and thought it would be free, but it cost her $9.99 because she did the purchase on the wrong device.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Edit: Wait, I think I figured out what the other person meant. You need to look them up from the device itself, not elsewhere. They're in my purchased section.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
Edit: Wait, I think I figured out what the other person meant. You need to look them up from the device itself, not elsewhere. They're in my purchased section.
If they're showing a price on iTunes he hasn't purchased them, he'll need to either search them by name or look for the page where it lists all Apps published by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.