Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankfurter

Sep 18, 2001
So what?

Why do people get so worked up over this? I actually have a life, and don't spend inordinate amounts of time at Starbucks or Barnes & Noble.

Guess what else? McDonalds has free Wi-Fi, as does Burger King. I've found it at various restaurants around town, including doctors offices, hospitals, and Best Buy, even little gift shops and grocery store.

So again - so what.....

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Wow this is great news!! The two places I wish i had more than EDGE (seeing as i dont get great service at the barnes and noble and Starbucks that I normally go to. Can't wait to try this out. Hope it works here too. :D:D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I thought those were T-Mobile hotspots at Starbucks?

last paragraph:

AT&T recently partnered with Starbucks to provide Wi-fi access to Starbucks' 7000 stores nationwide. This partnership allowed existing AT&T broadband customers free access and AT&T promised that it would "soon extend the benefits of Wi-Fi at Starbucks to its wireless customers", but no official announcement has yet been made.

AT&T took over recently

eatmoreramen

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
I work for both Apple and Starbucks in Pennsylvania haha

I noticed it today for the first time in my Starbucks.

The free wi-fi for customers has not yet started though.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Guess what else? McDonalds has free Wi-Fi, as does Burger King.
Hey, guess what? Neither of them offer free WiFi here in Virginia's biggest metro area. Nor is it as easy to find an open access point around town as it apparently is in your neck of the woods. :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Why do people get so worked up over this? I actually have a life, and don't spend inordinate amounts of time at Starbucks or Barnes & Noble.

Guess what else? McDonalds has free Wi-Fi, as does Burger King. I've found it at various restaurants around town, including doctors offices, hospitals, and Best Buy, even little gift shops and grocery store.

So again - so what.....

You beat me to it. Free WiFi is hardly a novelty any longer; in fact, it is rapidly becoming the norm. The reality is, limiting WiFi access to iPhone users is downright chintzy.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You beat me to it. Free WiFi is hardly a novelty any longer; in fact, it is rapidly becoming the norm. The reality is, limiting WiFi access to iPhone users is downright chintzy.

Actually, not to be difficult, but the opposite is true. Free Wi-Fi is becoming more and more scarce (at least here in the San Francisco Bay Area) because people will come into a coffee shop, plug in their laptop, and sit there for the entire day doing their work, surfing, whatever... and pay for only one cup of coffee. The power utilized by that person costs the coffee shop more than the one cup of coffee, not to mention that it detracts other customers because of the lack of seating.

There's a great article about it here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/03/11/MNGKKOCBA645.DTL

nyquist11

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
I like this bc at some airports it costs tons to get wi-fi now all they have to do is let me connect my MBP 4 free:apple::)

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007

I don't know where you live, but I'm seeing the exact opposite. More and more people are wising up to the fact that everyone is mooching off their wifi. Hell, I was in Costa Rica on vacation last weekend and unsecured wifi was scarce. I definitely disagree that free open wifi hotspots are becoming more common.

sfbayrealtor

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
san francisco bay area
Yup, just tested it near a starbux in Pleasanton, CA. :)

Yup, just tested it near a starbux in Pleasanton, CA. I was actually in the Safeway nextdoor and got enough signal to login....gratis ;)

no complaints here! way to go starbucks+att+apple.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
A side bit of goodness is that I am an AT&T DSL customer who happens to also own an iPod touch (not iPhone). In any event, I went by Starbucks today discovered the AT&T Wi-Fi connection in my settings, chose that, input my AT&T email address and password, and woila, FREE Wi-Fi on my iPod touch. Very cool.

Mark
--
Read: iPhone SDK - Mobile reasons for optimism
http://thenetworkgarden.com/weblog/2008/03/mobile-reasons.html

Exactly the same case for me, at the Spring Hill RT 50 Starbucks here in Florida, I gave my AT&T phone number, and I was in:D:cool::apple::apple:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Just a bit of gloating - but off topic

Free WiFi? I live on one of the Southern Gulf Islands, off the west coast of Canada. In town every coffee shop, and most of the pubs have free WiFi. You can pick up a multitude of open hotspots sitting in the middle of the main road. A large portion of the population don't have broadband at home, not because they can't get it - but its a lot more fun to hang out at RoCo with the other 6 or 12 laptops. Can't get a cell phone signal to save your life..... but we probably have better free WiFi coverage than most other places in North America.

Most of these places don't turn off their signals at night, so its not unusual to see someone, middle of the night, sitting outside on a bench and surfing.

Apple content: Most (and so I mean the majority) of the laptops used in public here are Apples.

Just my gloat for the day.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
Has anyone tried User Agent -> Mobil Safari 1.1.3 -- iPhone? That should allow you to get it.

Agreed, it sounds like a simple user-agent check. I'm not sure what else they could possibly be doing to detect an iPhone that can't be spoofed, short of exchanging some kind of token that both sides know how to manufacture.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Actually, not to be difficult, but the opposite is true. Free Wi-Fi is becoming more and more scarce (at least here in the San Francisco Bay Area) because people will come into a coffee shop, plug in their laptop, and sit there for the entire day doing their work, surfing, whatever... and pay for only one cup of coffee. The power utilized by that person costs the coffee shop more than the one cup of coffee, not to mention that it detracts other customers because of the lack of seating.

Those are the breaks -- if you want to provide your customers with services, the danger always exists that someone might actually use them. I constantly see people hanging out in places like Barnes & Noble for hours on end reading books and magazines without buying them. I should think that would be an even larger problem than using some precious bandwidth, but I've never heard about anyone cracking down.

Zolk

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
I was at Starbucks on Saturday and saw this. Totally awesome. But I thought I would mention that the first time I got an error and it went to a T-Mobile error page. I guess AT&T is using the old T-Mobile Hotspots.

Yep, same here. Just noticed the AT&T free WiFi feature this morning, but upon entering my phone number I got an T-Mobile error page.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Those are the breaks -- if you want to provide your customers with services, the danger always exists that someone might actually use them. I constantly see people hanging out in places like Barnes & Noble for hours on end reading books and magazines without buying them. I should think that would be an even larger problem than using some precious bandwidth, but I've never heard about anyone cracking down.

True, and I totally agree. It's probably just much easier to charge someone for Wi-Fi so that they're not leeching than it is to confront someone to get out of their bookstore just for reading a book. :/

marksskram

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Washington DC, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If you hit it with your laptop it goes to the normal login page which asks for a username and password

Has anyone tried to spoof the browser UserAgent? I can't wait to test the legit free service (from iPhone).. I was going to buy the $20/account so I could get ATT WiFi from my MBP and will probably still do so.

EDIT: D'oh, someone already posted this idea

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY

So again - so what.....

I don't spend 3 hours in a Best Buy or Burger King, but I do spend 3 hours at Barnes and Noble (which have Starbuckses attached to them).

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Nice,

It seems AT&T is really aggressive pursuing new iPhone customers.
I would not be surprise with they subsidized (like the earlier thread) some of the iPhone cost in order to bring more people in.

I just hope they improve their reception in my area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.