Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Handbrake doesn't seem to handle AVI input files. I want to convert a bunch of old AVIs to M4Vs to warehouse them in my iTunes library.

Any great free converters out there? I was surprised that quick Google and MR searches didn't turn one up right away.

Thanks in advance

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Me bad. I'll go back and try again. Looking at their page, I thought it just said it used the DVD ripped format as input.

I also found MPEGStreamclip via Google (which pointed to an MR thread) immediately after I posted here.

Oops!

Thank you!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Me bad. I'll go back and try again. Looking at their page, I thought it just said it used the DVD ripped format as input.

I also found MPEGStreamclip via Google (which pointed to an MR thread) immediately after I posted here.

Oops!

Thank you!

Handbrake is easier, though MPEG Streamclip is much more versatile., but Handbrake offers working Apple TV and iPod presets that work in iTunes.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
I have had really good luck with Handbrake converting avi to m4v.

Off topic, but I have had trouble converting the wrong setting m4v to say iPhone or iPod m4v files. Any tips on something like that?

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
I made an automator script to do this. In snow Leopard it is build right in as QuickTime can export to the right format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.