Free Backup Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greencardman, May 7, 2007.

1. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I was thinking about people who are going to switch to Cingular to buy an iPhone. Does this mean we can probably get a free backup phone? You could get a subsidized phone when you sign up, go out and buy an iPhone, and upgrade your plan to the iPhone plan, essentially getting a really nice phone for a backup if anything happens. Or you could give it away or sell it on eBay, or give it to a friend who needs a new one.

Any plans to pick one up, and what would you get?

2. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

You cant just go out and buy an iPhone, you have to sign up with a 2 year agreement when you buy it so your little plan would not work, unless you want to sign up with two contracts :p

3. Greencardman thread starter macrumors 6502

You do have to sign up for a contract, but I assume they will also let you upgrade an old contract and sign a new one. I mean, are they going to prevent all existing Cingular customers from buying an iPhone? No, so you sign a 2 year contract, get a subsidized phone, buy an iPhone, and change your plan to the iPhone plan. Sell said subsidized phone, essentially subsidizing your iPhone purchase.