free, basic image-editing/resizing software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jSunbeam, Dec 19, 2007.

1. jSunbeam macrumors regular

I'm working with a lot of clients who keep emailing me 3meg image files. This is clogging up my inbox and is totally unnecessary. Does anyone know of any very basic free programs that will allow them to resize their images before killing my servers?

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I've been wanting something to do just the same. People continue to email my grandma pictures in excess of 1 MB which just takes FOREVER to download on her dialup connection.

I finally just had her switch to the Gmail web interface. But I'm still interested if any such software exists.

EDIT: Oh wait. I just re-read your post. Are you looking for software to give to your clients so they can resize their images before even emailing them to you? Or are you looking for something that can run on an email server and resize images on-the-fly?

If your clients are using Apple Mail, here's an interesting article about an image-resizing feature in Mail.

3. Slumbercub macrumors regular

If they are on Leopard Preview will do resizing. If they are followers of the dark side of the force there is an image resizer for XP (and I presume Vista) with a very simple right click and resize option; just search for XP Powertoys.

4. wightstraker macrumors regular

If you're willing to install X11 (It's on your OS X installation disk), you can try Gimp. It might be overkill (it's a Photoshop replacement), but it's the absolute best image editing software you'll get for $0.

5. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

For basic image editing work, LiveQuartz is my favorite:

http://www.rhapsoft.com/

It is well documented and it is free!