Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n1tut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Called Apple Support today and gave them the figures for the state of my battery.

2010 MBA 11", basic spec, 20 months old.

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3348 71%
Design Capacity (mAh): 4680
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 477
Condition: Replace Soon.

They said that this was below the expected battery health at this stage, so have arranged to have it replaced FOC.

Fantastic support and service from Apple, and even though I read my Serial number wrongly to them, they persevered in trying to find it in the system before they discovered my mistake. 40 mins on a free phone number, and they called me back twice whilst tracing it between different tech and support departments.

tut

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
NICE.

I hope I can get my battery replaced (free or for a price) right before my Apple Care ends so I can extend the life of my 2012 MBA.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
NICE.

I hope I can get my battery replaced (free or for a price) right before my Apple Care ends so I can extend the life of my 2012 MBA.

I don't think this has anything to do with Apple Care. Apple guarantees their battery for 1000 cycles (it should stay above 80% for the first 1000 cycles).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't think this has anything to do with Apple Care. Apple guarantees their battery for 1000 cycles (it should stay above 80% for the first 1000 cycles).

I've seen this 80% and 1000 cycle number thrown around this site. Is there anywhere on Apple's website where this is actually written?

yoyoma1992

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
Called Apple Support today and gave them the figures for the state of my battery.

2010 MBA 11", basic spec, 20 months old.

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3348 71%
Design Capacity (mAh): 4680
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 477
Condition: Replace Soon.

They said that this was below the expected battery health at this stage, so have arranged to have it replaced FOC.

Fantastic support and service from Apple, and even though I read my Serial number wrongly to them, they persevered in trying to find it in the system before they discovered my mistake. 40 mins on a free phone number, and they called me back twice whilst tracing it between different tech and support departments.

tut

Do you have apple care?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, it does have to do with AppleCare. If you're out of warranty and don't have AppleCare, they don't have to replace the battery, even if it is defective. You may be able to find an Apple rep who will make an exception (as they do this frequently), but defective parts, including the battery, are only covered while under warranty or AppleCare. For more details, read this:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.