Free battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by n1tut, Jul 3, 2012.

1. n1tut macrumors regular

Called Apple Support today and gave them the figures for the state of my battery.

2010 MBA 11", basic spec, 20 months old.

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3348 71%
    Design Capacity (mAh): 4680
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 477
    Condition: Replace Soon.

They said that this was below the expected battery health at this stage, so have arranged to have it replaced FOC.

Fantastic support and service from Apple, and even though I read my Serial number wrongly to them, they persevered in trying to find it in the system before they discovered my mistake. 40 mins on a free phone number, and they called me back twice whilst tracing it between different tech and support departments.

tut

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

NICE.

I hope I can get my battery replaced (free or for a price) right before my Apple Care ends so I can extend the life of my 2012 MBA.

3. scarred macrumors 6502a

I don't think this has anything to do with Apple Care. Apple guarantees their battery for 1000 cycles (it should stay above 80% for the first 1000 cycles).

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I've seen this 80% and 1000 cycle number thrown around this site. Is there anywhere on Apple's website where this is actually written?

5. Adamb10 macrumors member

The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

6. yoyoma1992 macrumors member

Do you have apple care?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does have to do with AppleCare. If you're out of warranty and don't have AppleCare, they don't have to replace the battery, even if it is defective. You may be able to find an Apple rep who will make an exception (as they do this frequently), but defective parts, including the battery, are only covered while under warranty or AppleCare. For more details, read this:

8. n1tut thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it with the student discount for my daughter who was at Uni, and it seems that it comes with two years Applecare as standard.

tut