Free Bitdefender Virus Scanner Plus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by realeric, Sep 23, 2015.

1. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

I'm not sure if you like it or not, but it's free now (today only, Sep 23, 2015). You can download it on Mac App Store. The name is "Virus Scanner Plus", not "Bitdefender Virus Scanner".

2. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

3. realeric thread starter macrumors 65816

realeric

It end. But they usually do this once a year and I think avast free for mac is as good as bitdefender.

4. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

No, no, no!!!!! Never, ever pollute your mac with a completely unneeded antivirus application!

Do some research and you will soon understand that installing antivirus applications on a Mac mac will do nothing to improve your safety and may instead introduce vulnerabilities, performance issues, and instability that you never had before.

While researching the issue, ignore any article that urges that there are Mac viruses and vulnerabilities that make macs more vulnerable than ever. Every single one of these FUD articles are written by security software companies that will benefit from misleading typical users into believing their bull crap!

Keep your Mac secure by updating software as necessary, not using untrusted WiFi networks, not installing Flash or Java, and NOT installing any unnecessary or untrusted software such as security software for the Mac!

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Well, I would not pollute my Mac either. Nevertheless, having an on-demand (i.e. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, ClamXav) antivirus software would do no harm to performance. Plus it can give a feel of security.
    (Some days ago I was experimenting and tried a free AV that turned out to be extremely intrusive. Took me several tries to uninstall it completely and clear my Mac manually from the leftovers).

6. classic_henry macrumors newbie

classic_henry

That seems like some pretty incomplete advice for this issue. You're essentially suggesting a single line of defense right? Once the brigands get inside the castle walls you're kind of screwed with this logic.

What is your defense if the first line fails? Get a new computer?