FREE BUMPERS - Apple UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D4ND4N, Jun 26, 2010.

1. D4ND4N macrumors member

"Apparently, according to a BBC 5Live interview today, iPhone 4 users who go to the Apple store to complain about the 'left hand lost signal phenomenon' are being given a free Apple Bumper to alleviate the problem.

Post on this thread if you have success in getting one.

I did wonder when first seeing the bumper exactly why it had been designed to only protect the edge. And, AFAIK, it's the first time Apple have offered a 'case' for sale with a device.

This suggests that Apple was pre-empting a known problem.

These bumpers retail for £25, so are not at all bad for free
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC597ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
    (Credit to SugarRay for pointing this out)"

This was quoted from another website, so please let me know if you can confirm this.

Regards

2. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

I think a few people succeeded in getting a free one, but once SJ released the statement about it being a 'non-issue' apple stopped doing it. I got that info on here from a guy that tried at the Regents St store.

3. RSA.JULIUS macrumors newbie

i thought SJ said that its not a problem if you hold it differently or buy a bumper case for the iPhone 4.

4. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

This is completely untrue. The only way you will get a free bumper is by complaining like crazy, not just by walking into a store and claiming you have the issue (just not reproducible in the store, but everywhere else...)

As for the issue in general, Apple really messed this one up. It is a serious hardware design flaw, and should be legally forced to do a recall. Idiots.

5. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

A free £25 cheap looking piece of plastic to make your iPhone look cheap and nasty is NOT a bargain nor a viable solution. You should be demanding a damn technical resolution not being fobbed off with tat.

6. poetrydaze macrumors newbie

I'm seeing reports across many forums that the bumpers do not work. If you have a video please post as I've yet to see it.

7. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Guys, you do understand that by accepting a free Bumper you submit to Apple and to their major design flaw?

8. glanv macrumors regular

If I had an iPhone 4 with the reception issue, I would not be seeking a free bumper - I would be demanding a replacement! I am not 100% certain, but when the 3G was out of stock they still had replacement units (in white or brown boxes) to swap for faulty phones.

Enforce your consumer rights people - demand a replacement!

9. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

i would be seeking a replacement no matter how long i had to wait for it!

anyway i purchased the bumper when i purchased the phone! :confused:

10. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

What good is a replacement going to do? NONE.

11. poetrydaze macrumors newbie

You are missing the point.

THE BUMPERS DON'T WORK. I'm shouting it now. THE BUMPERS DON'T WORK. if you have proof otherwise please post it.

12. D4ND4N thread starter macrumors member

Mine works, lmao

13. woofermazing macrumors member

You still lose some signal strength regardless because the antenna is blocked by your hand, it's just not as dramatic. Do a speed test comparison and you will see a bandwidth drop. Any phone will do this, but it doesn't help that they put the antenna right where your hand will be most of the time. Really sucks for people in areas of low signal strength :mad:.