Free Candybar Alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Condawg, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Condawg macrumors newbie

Well, I'm looking to change my icons systemwide, but I can't afford Candybar.
    Is there any free alternative that I can use icontainer files with?

Not LiteIcon, because I can't get the icontainer I want to use (Kobhens) to work with it.

Any help appreciated =]

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Only a month late, but here goes http://www.smashingmagazine.com/category/freebies/ Any use?

3. ycc2106 macrumors newbie

iContainers: What an unfriendly file format, wish it could react like .jar ...

IconBox is supposed to support Icontainers, but I think only the old icontainer version, because it used to work and not any more... Still you could try if your icontainer is an old one. You can use it for free w/ quantity limitations.

As System icon changer, I tried iCustomise - witch for a free app does a lot. It has a little less options than Cadybar. Lets you change dock, sys icons, grid background... and it is safetier than doing it manually.

If you really want it, you could also checkout Linux's command line incontainer2icns using Darwin... ?

4. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

5. glasserp macrumors regular

hmm, that's a shame. it opened icontainers for me and it themed all system icons (not apps, the set i DLed didn't have them).

6. reubs macrumors 68000

I've found Liteicon to be good for my limited needs, and I use copy/paste for the regular application icons. The price on CandyBar is just too much for what little I have to do with it. That said, it might not be bad to have on hand to restore all of the icons at a later point.