Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...uh, the Finder's built-in burning....or iTunes burning. If you want the real advanced features you'll have to pay for it, be it Toast or something else...developing software costs $$ and not many are going to give it away....oh yeah!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...uh, the Finder's built-in burning....or iTunes burning. If you want the real advanced features you'll have to pay for it, be it Toast or something else...developing software costs $$ and not many are going to give it away....oh yeah!
In addition to the two you mentioned, MacOS X Disk Utilities will also burn CDs and DVDs.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Is there an easy way to burn PC-compatible DVDr's through the Finder or otherwise?

When I burn a CD with the Finder, it's fully readable by PC's as well as Macs.

When I do the same with a DVD, it's only readable by Macs.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
A quick search on Mac OS X Download (accessible from the Apple menu, shouldn't be too hard to find) gave a freeware app as first hit: DiscBlaze. Never tried it, so I have no idea how it is, and I cannot be bothered to try or check out the other hits or go to VersionTracker for more hits or search MR for this subject since it's been discussed more than once. The point is: SEARCH!, please... ;)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
The point is: SEARCH!, please... ;)

Heh. Thanks.

I actually had done quite a lot of searching, and never found that, so thanks! I'll give it a try for sure.

I think that's a problem with the way the web is going these days, we're very very reliant on search tools to find things, and even they're not perfect.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Most people don't use it, but cdparanoia is a free burning utility that supports OSX, and has many options. It also supports making and burning ISO files, and various DVD formats. Most people are turned off by the fact that it is a command line utility. I don't know if there is an OSX graphical frontend though. Perhaps a google search for cdparanoia will help?

Jim

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I use the Finder, iTunes, iDVD and Disk Utility.... I've never been in the position where I need dedicated Burning Software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.