Free CD Copying Apps Cannot Do Disk Copy?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gvdv, Aug 29, 2014.

1. gvdv macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have been using GarageBand in my Mac Pro to write songs and make CDs (of my songs) for a few years.

Periodically, I want to copy a whole CD of my songs so that I can give them to friends, and I have always done that on PC (using Nero to make a disk copy) because I could never figure out how to do that on the Mac.

Recently, however, I decided to try this again on my Mac, and have so far downloaded Burns, Simply Burns and Express Burn to do this, but cannot figure out a way to accomplish copying the whole disc at once (even with the 'Disk at Once' command!).

Am I right in thinking that the Mac's onboard CD copying abilities, as well as Burns, Simply Burns and Express Burns do not allow one to copy a CD, hold the info. in memory and then burn that info. to a blank CD?

I understand that I can select/add tracks that already exist on my Mac to the playlist of one of these programs, and then burn that to a CD, but not all of my old songs are on my computer any more and it is sometimes a bit of a task to poke around on external disk drives to locate those individual tracks.

Much better and more convenient to just insert a CD that I made some years ago, and copy that.

Can this be done without buying something like Titanium Toast?

Thanks,

gvdv

2. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

I just solved this dilemma.

I cannot believe sometimes that I do not see things when they are right in front of me, and in this case I had (literally) had the Simply Burns '1:1 Copy' mode staring me right in the face.

Just used it to make a copy, and it works perfectly.

Much better than making a disk image 'manually' (i.e., creating an image, which is saved to a folder of your choice, and then having to navigate to that folder after the image has been created, choose the image, and burn it to CD) - the Simply Burns '1:1 Copy' mode does the work for you.

I do not think that the other apps I mentioned have this mode.

gvdv.