Free/Cheap Alternative to Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by englishman, Jul 30, 2011.

1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

I am used to using a very old version of Dreamweaver for basic websites using templates.

Lion doesn't support my old version (PPC) and its very expensive to upgrade.

I am thinking of a free or cheaper alternative that will do basic editing and FTP.

I really like the Dreamweaver Template feature so if anything either can use DW templates or there is a good alternative with lots of free designs then that's a bonus.

I am currently looking at Seamonkey and NVU but are there any other alternatives.

I occasionally work in Windows so there would need to be a Windows version too.

2. mgkimsal, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

mgkimsal macrumors member

Have a look at Netbeans or Aptana. Both are Java apps, but will run decently on a Mac.

3. turbobass, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

turbobass macrumors 6502

4. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I've been using Espresso a lot lately... it's $80, so it's not necessarily what you consider cheap, but it's cheaper than Dreamweaver.

5. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

I liked the free version of coffee cup but it only ran on windows.

In the end I managed to get the student version of DW which was ok price wise and as they say allowed me to leverage my investment in DW templates etc. The license also allows use for commercial devt! Although it must be installed on a private machine.

I should probably be moving on to Wordpress and other CMS anyway and themes rather than DW which seems a bit old hat Web 1.0

But DW allows me to put off learning new stuff. :)

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Meh, isn't dreamweaver still using opera/presto as it's renderer? Odds are what you see isn't what you get.

Right now I'm using Sublime and just checking the site in Chrome/Safari with every change I make. (2 monitors rock)

7. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

I always test in FFox first and then IE and others.

Sublime looks nice.

Yes I don't like having to do serious work with a single monitor unless its very large.

8. Ap0ks, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Ap0ks macrumors 6502

That hasn't been the case for some time now, and the Opera HTML/CSS renderer is perfectly suitable for the task these days ;)

Best method I find, is to code in a text editor or Coda/Espresso and test in browsers (both Mac and Windows) at milestones.