Free cleanup software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gravytrain84, Jul 7, 2010.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

My mac is about 2 years old and still running like a champ, I just want some sort of software that will help me erase all the excess junk. Any recommendations are appreciated. :)

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Onyx (totally free)
    CleanMyMac (can only clean 200 MB on trial)
    MainMenu (trial….don’t remember if it locks you out after awhile or you just get a nuisance note)

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Most Mac "cleaning" software doesn't really do anything that your Mac doesn't already do in terms of preventative maintenance. They can be helpful when you have a current problem though. I wouldn't recommend any of them in your case.

What junk are you trying to clear out?

4. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Thanks, I'll give them a try

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I would definitely stay away from cleanup apps. Especially the ones that are system-wide. The process could easily remove vital files to your computer's performance.

If you want, maybe try App-Zapper. It helps to clean out preferences files, caches and the like along with the target application itself.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I disagree. Most of the cleanup apps just call Apple scripts that run anyway. The apps are generally just a way to force these scripts to run instead of waiting for them to happen during their normal scheduled time.

7. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I just used Omni disk sweeper and found 34GB of music I never knew I had on here and did not want. 34 more GB for me :D

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, if you’re wanting to get rid of unwanted crap, you could try

MonoLingual (beware of deleting architectures, and don’t delete English or Czech….I also keep French, Spanish, and German just for giggles). The other languages deleted will clear plenty of space.

9. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

For some reason, Onyx is not running on my system when downloaded? :confused:

10. whitebear85 macrumors newbie

Just downloaded Onyx, working fine.

Can anyone suggest any other useful pieces of free software to download? Any cool apps etc??

Thanks

11. celticpride678

As maintenance goes, there really aren't any others.

12. Troon macrumors regular

Troon

I use Onyx. I don’t use my MBP (late 09) for much other than looking about online, downloading music, sending emails, watching dvd’s, and using Traktor to DJ off.

My MBP is never switched off and it is being used about 8-14 hours a day.
    How often should i use Onyx or use any other general main programme?

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Only when you have a problem.

14. Troon macrumors regular

Troon

Ok thanks. I haven’t had a problem since i got it last november. I was running it every few weeks, which i guess wont have done it any harm????

Are there any other little tips you have that might speed it up, like deleting cookies etc?

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No, it won't do any harm. Run it hourly if you wish, it won't hurt a thing.

Nope. Just use your computer, don't download stupid stuff, and don't open every app you own at once. If your computer is really slow, then I'd suggest possibly adding more RAM.

16. Troon macrumors regular

Troon

Thanks a lot. This is the 2nd laptop i have owned. My last one was a Compaq and served me well. But not long after owning it i came home one night drunk and “did something” to it and for the 3/4 years i owned it after that it never worked right. Also i DL’d a lot of crap off P2P sites etc etc. Basically i treated it badly and it got viruses etc.

So with my MBP i am mega careful. I could count on one hand the programmes i have added, handbreak, burn, MS office and a few more but before DLing them i treble checked that they were ok to DL through google searches.

When i do anything like burn a DVD or CD, i close all other windows, take my time, and let the MBP do it’s job. I will open up Safari again while it does it’s job. But that’s it, i don’t have it doing more than 3 things at one time.

The MBP is much much more than someone like me needs, but because i will be DJing off it i can justify it, as all DJ’s use MBP’s as they can trust them not to crash during a set.

So hopefully if i keep treating it well i will have it a lot of years.

Thanks for your help mate :):):):)