free cloud for unlockers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gimmeiphone, Nov 9, 2007.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

so my current phone is on 02 pay and go, which i love cos i get 300 free txts a month just for topping up. what im wondering is, when i get the iphone and unlock it (i know it cnt be unlocked jst yet) and use my 02 pag sim, will i get the free wifi cloud thingy or do you have to be on the contract? there must be sum way to still get it

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I don't think you can. It is an arrangement between O2 and Cloud… You might subscribe to the offer for the iPod Touch perhaps… Just register the MAC and pay I think £3.50/month

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I think they register your mac address when you sign up. They wouldn't be as stupid as to allow free access to an entire class of address.

Or at least, surely not... (f/x: goes to fix mac address on laptop)

4. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

aw well lol i dont have a mac, only windows, so does that mean i wudnt be able to get it anyway? maybe the hackers will be able to do something to enable it? but since u have to register and stuff i doubt it aw well lol no free net for me

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not Mac, as in Apple Mac. ;)

MAC address… a hardware address of your electronic device.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

MAC address is the WiFi (or networking) identifier on the iPhone (or any other WiFi enabled device for that matter) rather than the Macintosh platform.

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

£6.99 / month for iPhones and £3.99 / month for iPod Touches

The iPod Touches are prefixed with a different MAC address to the iPhones, so I'm not sure there is a way to swindle the deal and fake your iPhone as an iPod Touch!

If there is, holla back :D

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You can't use an iPhone for the iTouch offer the MAC address format is slightly different and TheCloud have made sure you can only enter an iTouch address

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I said: Might… not may ;) I was just speculating.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I know...wasn't trying to jump down your throat. Merely clarifying

11. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

its so unfair that iPhoners have to pay more than touchers...

they do just the same thing

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not really… If you sign with O2 it is "free"… only with a hacked iPhone do you pay more.
    Understandably they are not making it easy for unlocked iPhones. More's the pity. :(

13. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Actually I think it works slightly differently.

I tried to use my US iPhone on The Cloud and it asks for your O2 number when you log in.

I get the impression that if you used a friends number who had an iphone then your phone WOULD work with the cloud - or to put it another way - the MAC is registered if you enter a valid O2 number with Wi-Fi in it based on the number you use.

To be fair I don't know how well EDGE works but I could imagine that some people would not even realise that they are not using Wi-Fi if they are not looking for it - I am thinking casual iPhone users as opposed to gadget junkies-

You could scam someones number for the wi-fi and they would use the EDGE and never know any different!

Just on a side note I love how "The Cloud" coverage is in bars! lets me honest if your like me - the only time you won't have internet access is in bars etc so its a great place for it!