free converter from .mov to mpeg2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by comebackdwn, Jan 23, 2008.

1. comebackdwn macrumors regular

ok. ok. now i know mpeg2 is not the best video format. but it is what i need.

i am converting from .mov, however i dont have money to pay for a fancy converter.

does anyone know of one that will convert to mpeg2 and still keep the quality that is either free, or very cheap?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

MPEG Streamclip (freeware) should do what you want. However, you should realize that by compressing to MPEG-2 (or any MPEG format), you will be losing some quality.

-DH

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

DH, I may be mistaken, but I don't think MPEG Streamclip will let you *encode* into MPEG2, only decode or transcode an existing MPEG file. For MPEG2 encoding I think he'll need something like mencoder or ffmpeg ( or ffmpegX which allows you to choose either )

ffmpegX is shareware, but ffmpeg and menchoder are free ( they are commanline tools with no handholding, so be prpared to read documentation, combackdown )

If I'm mistaken about MpegStreamclip, please let me know.

4. comebackdwn thread starter macrumors regular

you are right about mpegstreamclip. that will convert to many other video formats, however, the only mpeg is 4.

i will look into your other suggestions. thank you.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

You may be right ... I'm not near my Mac right now to verify though. I have used MPEG Streamclip to create muxed MPEG-2 transport streams ... but as I recall, I did use Compressor to encode the original video to a raw MPEG-2 file first.

Sorry for my error.

-DH