Free cookies and sunshine for whoever can help. MBP issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luka, Jun 7, 2008.

1. luka macrumors member

Macbook pro, First Gen, 2.16, 17inch. 1.5g ram.

Was playing a game windowed and watching a video at the same time. Computer is a workhorse, handling it well. All of a sudden, the skies open up, daemons come spawning from the ground and my screen gets this weird checkered red and white pattern across it. Computer hangs, and upon consulting with one of the daemons, he suggested a forced restart. I did, and waited for the laptop to boot. Soothing, sensual apple bbburrrrrr, the average little spinning around in circles waiting thing under the apple logo, then, a blue screen as it does before it loads the wallpaper. and that's where it stays. Now look, I love the colour blue as much as the next guy. Hell, my wallpaper was blue before the laptop decided on it's change of pace. But I kind of enjoyed the functionality of a $3000 laptop as well.

I promptly stopped my screams of rage to perform a PRAM thing. (you know, option, command, p, r)
    No change.
    'Ah,' I thought, 'A power issue this must be!'. Laptop disconnected from AC, battery out, held the power button down for a while. Kick it back on, nothing again.

boot camp my way into windows, it runs but with strange artifacts or something behind the pointer, the system works but really slowly and it's just a generally unpleasant experience. Thinking about the link between the artifacts and the checkered screen issue, I checked to see that there were no issues with the videocard in windows. Windows told me that it was running great, and it wished I'd visit more often. It gave me a box of cookies to share with my brother and sent me on my merry way.

However, I'm no expert when it comes to windows computers, but the ever so peaceful videocard seemed to have it's name popping up under the 'conflicts' tab a number of times, no idea what it's about.

Anyway, thinking this may be more than a software issue, I ran the apple hardware checking thing at bootup, ran a comprehensive test and it came back and told me everything was fine.

Tried running in safe mode, held shift, the computer thought about it for a little longer than usual and then decided on sticking with the blue screen.

Thinking then, it must be a software issue, I loaded the osX dvd and held C while it loaded. Again, the laptop thought about it, warmed up the dvd player, ignored it and went on it's merry way enjoying the scenery at bluesville, bluetucky, BlueSA.

so I tried holding option and selecting the DVD directly from the list. same thing again, thinks about it, goes to the blue.

I need: A) to be able to access my files and get them the hell off the HDD before it decides to freak out any more.
    b) get my laptop healthy again so it can get back to training and win the softball championship this year.

Sunshine, cookies and a warm glass of milk to the person with the best response.

2. luka thread starter macrumors member

oops, forgot this snippet of information. running tiger, latest version

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I can't help much with the main issue afflicting your computer, but if you want to get to your files, hold down the T key when you turn it on and see if it will go into FireWire Target Disk mode (firewire icon bounces around a black screen), after which you can connect a firewire cable and unload valuable data from the computer using another computer. I think you've got a logic board problem though, most likely the video card is on the fritz... so it looks like it might be time for a new MacBook Pro unless you have AppleCare or want to pay for it yourself (this is quite costly). Good luck getting out of Bluesville.

4. luka thread starter macrumors member

It's strange though, the diagnostic tool had a good, long look at the logic board. Is it not to be trusted?

5. jsbarone macrumors regular

I had a similar problem---my MBP is being replaced by Applecare on Monday. Your GPU is dying. Haardware test can't find the problem because it's heat induced. Hopefully you got Applecare! Good luck.

6. Angels&Airwaves macrumors member

i have no idea how to fix your problem but i just want to say your first post is a fun read. i especially like "bluesville, bluetucky, BlueSA." anyways...sorry im no help...loving the sense of humor though. :D

7. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hi,
    you wrote you could boot up windows. Install macdrive to get access to your OS X partition and safe your files.
    No idea for the main problem, I would call Apple!

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Time to send it to Apple :)

If only every help-thread was this well-written. I really enjoyed reading it :)

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sunshine, have you seen my other 'tar?

Larger unflipped version...

Attached Files:

10. luka thread starter macrumors member

That's not what I wanted to hear. The laptop is nearly 3 years old now. No cookies for you.

Bah, what am I saying? I'll mail them to you right away. It's just the kind of person I am.

That said, does anyone know roughly how much apple is charging these days for a logicboard/GPU repair?

11. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Probably lots. I was told I was looking at £120 ($240) just to get the RAM in my MacMini looked over when one of the cards decided to play silly buggers and hide from the system, making the computer forget it was a 1GB system and start chewing its way onwards with 512MB RAM.

So I fixed it myself with a spoon, a screwdriver and a paint scratchy thing to lever off the shell. And some Sellotape to hold the card in.

That said, I definitely wouldn't recommend replacing your logic board with the aforementioned implements. Get Apple to take a peek, or better an Apple Authorised Repair Desk (because they usually charge less from my experience), and ask them to break the news gently. Be prepared to bring an external drive to save all your files to if they say your computer is dead.

Sorry that sounds so apocryphal, I'll send you some of the nice sunshine Northern England is having right now to cheer you up!

12. luka thread starter macrumors member

Your sunshine is much appreciated here in rainy Melbourne, Australia.
    You win 3 cookies for kindness.
    I'll mail them to you when you least expect them.

I'll be popping to the nearest repair place after our glorious queen's birthday.