Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeeliv

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Can anyone tell me why I don't even see a ringtones option on the left of Itunes in 7.4.1? Is there an option I have to enable? thanks.

It never shows up on the left, it is a tab up top when you are looking at your iPhone.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Lol :D
I predict another itunes update tommorow 7.4.2 :D
Or maybe they'll give up but I doubt it.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
This method does NOT work under Windows. I am using Windows Vista, and I get an error that the file does not exist. If you made custom ringtones under iTunes 7.4, they will remain. However, new ringtones cannot be added. If you use Windows, then you may have to reinstall iTunes 7.4. Otherwise, you can use iBrickr or SSH/WinSCP to add ringtones to the iPhone; however, the iPhone will have to be jailbroken.

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
thankyou thankyou thankyou

Awesome x3

By remixing a couple of steps from the various tips here, I am finally able to have the Stephen Colbert "Your phone is ringing! Your phone is ringing!" ringtone on my iPhone! And my iPhone is otherwise completely stock.

Once again, thank you!

And I should note, I have 7.4.1(2) on OS X 10.4.10 my Mac mini, so doing the rename-rename shuffle did the trick for me. I got suckered into upgrading to 7.4.1.2 before I read the news about the ringtone hack being broken... but I can attest that the new hack absolutely still works for me. NO MORE upgrading iTunes for me until the dust settles a few days to see what works/doesn't.

After playing with it a little more, I'm inspired to go through all of the telephone-related songs in my cd-ripped collection in iTunes... I now have "Telephone Line" by ELO in my ringtones (for free).

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
nice! wound up DLing 7.4.1 by mistake, ran into problems with ifuntastic on my ibook so i restored the phone and decided to add ringtones this way vs the cyberduck way. worked perfectly. also got the audio a lot louder (finally!).

luckily the installer app has a new version that works with 7.4 as well. so when is the wifi icon going to show up? another update next week that will probably erase all that i just put on? bah!

afumo77

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Why can't I seem to make this work? I am on an older G5 powerPC, is that the problem? When I change the file extension in "get info", double click it opens in itunes, but no ringtone folder gets made, and when I make one, put the .m4r in there and double click it launches itunes and when I navigate to the ringtone folder to change the extension, it is no longer there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Looking for a ringtone...

Has anybody heard this ringtone? I'll try to describe it.

It sounds like the old Nokia original ringtone, but then starts to sound like it is self destructing (static, distortion, pitch changes). It's VERY funny. A friend of mine said he found it on a sight called thecleverest.com, but the sight is under construction or something.

If anybody knows another place where I can find it, please post the link. I would love to get it on my iPhone. :D

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
This just strikes me as lame by Apple.

I spent some quality time making ringtones yesterday (legally, using music I'd written and some royalty-free stuff). Now Apple wants so take them away.

I'm going to hold off upgrading iTunes from 7.4 until the dust settles.
But Apple is THE lockin vendor.

Which of course suck.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
For those having trouble getting this working (and are on a Mac), we recommend iToner.

Hah, the people who don't want to pay 99 cents to convert a song to a ringtone aren't going to want to pay more than 15 times that much. :rolleyes:

I'd actually recommend that you dig some loose change out of your couch... ;)

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
here is what worked for me:
make a ringtones
add to iTunes
convert to acc
drag it to the desktop
change it to m4r
make ringtones folder in iTunes music folder
drag m4r to ringtones folder I made
double click it in the folder.
They appear on iTunes no problem.

josh1014

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
So has anyone successfully gotten this to work on Windows, or is it definitely not working?

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
It took me a couple tries to make this work in 7.4.1 on my Mac..

1) Make sure the tag info isn't the same as another song in the library. If it's already in iTunes, shorten the title, remove the track # data, and drag a copy out. Delete the iTunes copy.
2) Put it in the iTunes Music/Ringtones folder. Create folder if needed.
3) Uncheck both "Keep my Music Folder Organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Library when adding to library" in preferences. Otherwise it'll rename the file to .m4a and move it into the real library
4) Add it to iTunes from the Ringtones folder
5) Rename the extension to m4a.

Now it should show up and sync. If I didn't do the above steps, it would either get lost on import or moved into the normal music collection.
Interesting that you had to go through all that.

Step 3 is completely not necessary and not true, in my case. In fact, Steps 1-4 were not necessary for me.

I simply added the .m4r file to the Library by opening it in iTunes. This caused iTunes to create a Ringtones folder and copy the file into it. Then, I renamed it to .m4a, and everything worked.

HkyGrL2

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
ok, so I have a PC and I don't know if what you guys are doing is only for Mac users.

Also, I tried to follow some of the steps
I opened itunes, converted the file I wanted into aac
dragged it onto my desktop
but there is no way to change the file name once it's on the desktop.
In the itunes it says aac, but on the desktop it says m4a
one of the reasons why I got the phone was because I thought i could use my own songs as ringtones.
wtf! I have to pay to make a song that I BOUGHT and downloaded from MY OWN CD as a ringtone. I think I am owed more than a hundred dollars!

Nickz

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
So has anyone successfully gotten this to work on Windows, or is it definitely not working?

For Windows XP on iTunes 7.4.1, I were only able to get the songs onto "Ringtones" tab but I wasn't able to sync it onto iPhone because iPhone couldn't play the song. Just in case someone wants to figure something out. Here are the steps...

1. Edit the song you want to use as your ringtone in *.mp3 format.
2. Add that song into iTunes
3. Convert that file into AAC. To convert into AAC, right clicking the song in iTunes and select "Convert Selection to AAC".
4. Once after you have converted the song into AAC, find the location of that file by right clicking the song that you have converted into AAC and then select "Get Info"
5. A window will pop-up giving you the information about the song and the location of the song ("Where:").
**(When you convert the file into AAC, the file extension of the file will turn to *.m4a) **
6. Find the location of that file. (Normally in "iTunes music" folder under unknown artist) and close iTunes.
7. Copy that file (shortcut key to copy file = Ctrl+C)
8. Create a folder name "ringtones" under .../iTunes/iTunes Music
9. Paste the file you have copied (shortcut key to paste file = Ctrl+V)
10. Create another copy of the same file and rename the file extension to *.m4r
11. Double click the song with the *.m4a file extension.

That will pretty much get the ringtones on to the "Ringtones" tab in iTunes. But I didn't have much luck getting it sync onto the iPhone. If anyone could figure out how to get it sync. please post the steps.

- Nickz

chiefillini

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL.
garage band

Well after working on this for about 30min I finally got mine to work. Something I noticed though was that when I created the ringtone in garageband and than exported to something like greystreet.m4a, than changed to m4r and double-clicked into itunes that it changed the name to my song.m4r which was the title on the garageband file. So that is what it added to the ringtone list. Is there a way around this besides having to save the garageband file to the same as I want the ringtone to be titled as.

HkyGrL2

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
For Windows XP on iTunes 7.4.1, I were only able to get the songs onto "Ringtones" tab but I wasn't able to sync it onto iPhone because iPhone couldn't play the song. Just in case someone wants to figure something out. Here are the steps...

1. Edit the song you want to use as your ringtone in *.mp3 format.
2. Add that song into iTunes
3. Convert that file into AAC. To convert into AAC, right clicking the song in iTunes and select "Convert Selection to AAC".
4. Once after you have converted the song into AAC, find the location of that file by right clicking the song that you have converted into AAC and then select "Get Info"
5. A window will pop-up giving you the information about the song and the location of the song ("Where:").
**(When you convert the file into AAC, the file extension of the file will turn to *.m4a) **
6. Find the location of that file. (Normally in "iTunes music" folder under unknown artist) and close iTunes.
7. Copy that file (shortcut key to copy file = Ctrl+C)
8. Create a folder name "ringtones" under .../iTunes/iTunes Music
9. Paste the file you have copied (shortcut key to paste file = Ctrl+V)
10. Create another copy of the same file and rename the file extension to *.m4r
11. Double click the song with the *.m4a file extension.

That will pretty much get the ringtones on to the "Ringtones" tab in iTunes. But I didn't have much luck getting it sync onto the iPhone. If anyone could figure out how to get it sync. please post the steps.

- Nickz

Nickz,
Does it work with iTunes 7.4.2???

cb333

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
wait i'm now confused. can somebody clarify something? for windows, would 7.4.1.2 enable me to use free mp3 ringtones? it mentions macgeek still got the 7.4.0.28 version but after downloading the file it lists as 7.4.1.2.

thx for all the help.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I can confirm this works for Windows XP and the person who posted it (Robbie) got it to work on Vista.

1. Put m4r files into a ringtones folder on my desktop.
2. Opened iTunes
3. Edit>Prefferences>Advanced
4. Check “Keep iTunes Music folder organized”
5. Check “Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library”
6. Created playlist called “Ringtones” in iTunes
7. Dragged the Ringtones folder from my desktop to the playlist I created in iTunes
8. Made sure they appeared when in the list on the Ringtones tab in iTunes
9. Opened the “Ringtones” folder that iTunes created in \Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones
10. Renamed all the m4r files to m4a
11. Try to sync but it fails because it cannot find the m4r files (this is good)
12. Look at playlist created in iTunes with a bunch of X’s next to each ringtone
13. Double clicked each ringtone (hit browse for the file, and selected each m4a file from the folder in my \Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones)
14. Hit sync again
15. Verify they are in your Settings>Sounds>Ringtones
http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/#comment-25353

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Yeah, iToner broke. Apple broke the 7.4 ringtone thing with 7.4.1. This is why $.99 just doesn't like too much money for a ringtone for me: for $.99 over the costs of a song I'll want anyway, I get guaranteed compatibility. I have a feeling even with commercial products like iToner, Apple will break it, they'll fix it, and with every new minor iTunes release you'll have a week or so where you can't sync your iPhone or you'll lose your ringtones.

I finally was able to get it to work on my G4 Powerbook.

1. Find eligible AAC music file in iTunes.
  2. Drag to Desktop.
  3. Rename as *.m4r
  4. Create folder Ringtones in iTunes Music folder
  5. Drag file from desktop to Ringtones Folder
  6. Double Click (whether iTunes is open or not)
  7. The file should NOT play in iTunes
  8. Go back to Ringtones folder and rename song as *.m4a

Two of the seven files I converted didn't work. I'll retry to see what happens.

I'm sure this will be corrected by Apple soon! ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yeah, iToner broke. Apple broke the 7.4 ringtone thing with 7.4.1. This is why $.99 just doesn't like too much money for a ringtone for me: for $.99 over the costs of a song I'll want anyway, I get guaranteed compatibility. I have a feeling even with commercial products like iToner, Apple will break it, they'll fix it, and with every new minor iTunes release you'll have a week or so where you can't sync your iPhone or you'll lose your ringtones.

I agree... I won't want more than a couple of ringtones, max, and at $.99 each, I'd rather just pay and not worry about it again.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
iToner Fixed

ROCHESTER, New York -- September 7, 2007 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. today announced the release of iToner 1.0.1. This update of the highly popular iPhone custom ringtone transfer tool adds support for iTunes 7.4, along with other bug fixes and improvements.

Exempt from per-ringtone fees, iToner lets you easily transfer your own MP3 or AAC audio files to your iPhone, and enjoy them as custom ringtones.

The iToner 1.0.1 update is free to all registered users, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/itoner/

iToner 1.0.1 features the following improvements and changes:

-- Compatibility with iTunes 7.4

-- Now supports file dragging from iTunes

-- Improved playlist handling

-- Other bug fixes and enhancements

Until now, getting custom ringtones onto your iPhone required invasively hacking your iPhone with unpleasantly complex and laborious tools. With iToner, simply drag and drop your favorite audio files onto the elegant and familiar interface, and click the Sync button. Your custom ringtones are instantly accessible from your iPhone! Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS updates.

Your iPhone allows you to assign different ringtones for your different contacts. With iToner, now you can have a Barry White ringtone for when your girlfriend calls, Frank Zappa for when your college buddies ring you up, or the theme from Jaws for when your boss is calling.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
This just strikes me as lame by Apple.

I spent some quality time making ringtones yesterday (legally, using music I'd written and some royalty-free stuff). Now Apple wants so take them away.

I'm going to hold off upgrading iTunes from 7.4 until the dust settles.

I agree 100% with you, I am so f***ing angry with Apple over this. I can understand charging a fee for ringtones *purchased* on iTunes. However, I can not for the life of me understand why Apple thinks they can charge for the privilege to sync my own ringtones. (Regardless of how I obtained it)

Anyone know Steve Jobs email address, I really want to voice my self on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.