'Free' data with Orange PAYG and how to get it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MagentaDivine, Jan 20, 2010.

1. MagentaDivine macrumors newbie

Hi,

New here and an absolute novice to iphone and most things technical so please have mercy. I got an unlocked (jailbroken?) iphone for Christmas and am using it with my previous Orange PAYG sim.

Following a top up, I received a text from Orange telling me I receive 50MB of 'free' internet use very time I top up by £10 or more. Usually I will use wifi when indoors but it would be quite useful to access the web via my service provider.

I phoned Orange and they said I don't have to do anything as iphone is set up already to go, he obviously didn't realise the phone wasn't bought at an Orange store.

Can anyone tell me how I can activate this 50MB of data usage? Any help(nice and easy 'for beginners') would be greatly appreciated.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network, is the Cellular Data Network part setup?

3. MagentaDivine thread starter macrumors newbie

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think you need to have the top part filled in to get on a data network.

One of the easiest ways to fill it in (assuming you're on WiFi now) is to use Safari and surf over to http://www.unlockit.co.nz

From that web page, click Custom APN, then select your carrier from the "Carrier" pulldown.

The website should then configure your phone. (When it's done, you'll see where it filled the stuff in). Try to surf then.

5. ethical macrumors 68000

Are you sure your phone is Jailbroken? If you're in the UK, Orange sell the iPhone. Do you have the Cydia or Icy apps on your phone?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Go into an orange store and pick up an iPhone animal payg sim. They all include 250mb of data a month with each 10 pound u top up. Just pick the right animal for u be it texts or calls or a bit of both.

7. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Just need to type in 'orangeinternet' into the APN and your good to go

No they don't.

The sim card you get with the handset if you buy it from orange on PAYG has 250mb built in, if you just get a run of the mill sim they don't have any allowance unless you go on the dolphin tariff whihc even then only gives you 50mb a month

8. MagentaDivine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've got both of those, not that I have the foggiest what they are used for. If you could inform me that would be great.

9. ethical macrumors 68000

The software used to jailbreak an iPhone adds these applications to it by default. They are like the App Store, but for apps only available on jailbroken phones. You can just ignore them if you like.

10. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I think these are the cellular data settings that you need:
    APN address (PAYG): paygwap
    Gateway (IP) address : 192.168.71.035
    Username: Orange
    Password: Multimedia
    Session type: Continuous / permanent
    Authentication: Normal
    Port number: 9201

Also, make sure that your SIM is a 3G-enabled one if you did not have a 3G phone before.