Free Defrag or How do i make a disk that i can boot from

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laxrocks406, Jun 17, 2010.

1. laxrocks406 macrumors newbie

i'm trying to boot camp my computer but i need a defragger i found a couple but you need to get them on to a boot disk so you can defrag your start up drive

if there is no way is there a Free defragger Please please please help me i've been searching forever:mad:

:apple::apple::apple:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. celticpride678

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is iDefrag free? Check it out.

(The question was not "Is it necessary"?)

5. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

6. celticpride678

I understand that (I can read the post), but I was stating that defragging would do absolutely nothing on Mac OS X and it would be pointless.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ah, but my point is that it's polite to answer the question that was asked. Then if you want to answer one that wasn't asked, by all means, go ahead!

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can answer what they ask, or you can answer what they need to know to resolve their problem.

9. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

That's a myth.

Lots of bad advice on this thread.

When trying to create a bootcamp partition, sometimes you get an error that the program couldn't create the partition. Boot Camp refuses to create a new partition if there an unmovable files at the end of your hfs partition, such as a paging file.

Apple's official response to the problem appears to be "back up and then reinstall OS X", which is ********. Booting off an alternate device and optimizing your main drive will enable you to move these files elsewhere on that partition.

Even though the Mac file system takes care of defragging files under 20mb, files bigger than that will fragment just like on Windows.

I had that particular error, so I bought iDefrag. The Live defrag option didn't help (when running the computer), so I made a Defrag DVD, and rebooted, and let it work over night. The following morning I made my partition without any problems.

@celticpride678
    I currently work with a lot of high def video files (over 5-10gig). They get extremely fragmented, and defragging every now and so increases performance ten fold.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

FWIW, this thread shows the person had the same error, tried iDefrag, and continued to have the problem, so defragging didn't help them.

11. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Worked for me, so atm 50/50 success rate :)

12. dosbabe macrumors newbie

dosbabe

That's what they told me when I couldn't create a partition? So you think it's worth the money?

Amy

13. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Geez- people can be so unhelpful here! Is everybody all worked up over the iphone or something?

Anyway- yes. I had to "defrag" my drive to use bootcamp because there wasn't a solid block of unsused space that it needed to partition.

My solution was to wipe my drive completely clean and restore from my Time Machine backup which basically meant it wrote everything back on the disc in a nice orderly "defragged" chunk.. the whole process took about 3 hours and worked mostly without a hitch...

I do remember that a certain preference or something didn't work and the preview and quicklook functions in Finder weren't working.. A quick google of the problem and I found the link to download some type of patch that fixed it. Sorry, I can't remember what it was... but I was quite impressed to see that it essentially brought my entire machine back to how I left it and I'm dual-booting just fine now! Microsoft Flight Simulator has never looked better then it does on a MacBook Pro!!

EDIT: in my research - I remember seeing that a number of people had no success with defrag programs because sometimes for whatever reason a file cannot be moved. If that file sits on where OS X wants to make the partition then it's no good.

Best bet- use time machine (good idea to make a clone of your whole disc first though)