?free defrag software for 2011 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmastersam, Oct 7, 2012.

1. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

hi all,
    My cousin has a macbook pro, and was wondering what free, reliable software there is out there for defragging on a mac?

My cousin's macbook pro is a 15" from late 2011, with the 2.2 i7 and 4GB of memory, with the 5400rpm hard drive. Recently his macbook pro has been taking an age to load up, by like a minute to load. Is there any defragging software out there or anything that can increase the speed of my cousin's mac without having to spend money or very little money.

all help is appreciated!
    -sam.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Defragging is not needed with OS X, and may even adversely affect performance. This isn't Windows. A 1 minute boot time is perfectly normal on a platter hard drive.

Your cousin's sudden slowdown can be related to a whole bunch of stuff, such as failing hardware or a software conflict.

To rule out the software part, simply backup his stuff and try a clean install of the operating system. If the system is still slow, a dying hard drive could be the culprit, as they often get extremely sluggish to and crash often when they are about to go.

Alternatively, if the computer is a late 2011, it may still be in warranty, can't hurt to have Apple take a look at it and fix it for free?

EDIT: The late 2011 MBP came out on october 24th of 2011, the computer is still in warranty, hand it over to Apple and let them do the fixing.

3. simsaladimbamba

Defragging software is not really needed, I never used it once to defrag any of my HDDs, though I scanned some of them with iDefrag and even after years of use many HDDs were still defragged less than 1%, as HFS+ takes care of that.

Maybe try the following: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

PS: A slow startup could mean to many login items or that the HDD is going to fail, I hope your cousin employs a backup strategy.

4. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

why do macs not need defragging?

what sort of software conflicts?

ok then. looks like he may have to face the worst. thank you for the help!

5. simsaladimbamba

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As already stated, defragging is unnecessary and isn't likely to fix the issue. If you're having performance issues, this may help:

7. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you for the help! managed to speed loadup on my cousin's macbook pro by 30 seconds! :D