Free Disk Space is changing, HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ManuelGnR, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ManuelGnR, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

ManuelGnR macrumors regular

I'm afraid I may have some kind of virus. I've used someone's flash that has a virus, but it was a Windows virus so I was not afraid.. But my free disk space on my only 64 GB SSD is changing every few minutes.

Not sure if it's a virus but anyway something weird is going on.

I'm at the moment traveling in Africa and this laptop is all I have.

This is what happens: I check my free space using quick view (space), and it says 2,02 GB. Then quickly after it said 2,01 GB, then 2,05 GB (this is the first and only time I saw it going back up), then 1,75 GB, 750 MB etc. and now it's 597,1 MB. Just now making this post it went a Gig down.

Something is eating my free space and it's scary. I really need this computer for a few more months.

What can I do?

P.S. Also I use a safaricom USB modem which gets very hot after a short use. This makes my MBA get very hot and slow too. 541,7 MB free disk space now.

Please help! (486,3 MB)

EDIT:
    Computer info:
    Mac OS X 10.7.2
    1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    64 GB SSD (about six months old)
    320,6 MB free

2. simsaladimbamba

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    It is also recommended to have 10 % of the disk's capacity unused, or at least 5 to 10 GB for temporary files, which is what you might experience right now, due to RAM swapping. The last time I had less than 1 GB free was on my 27 GB HDD in my 2004 iBook. I also have a 60 GB SSD in my 2007 iMac, but have at least 10 GB free on it. I use external HDDs though, which you should do at least for backing up.

What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

3. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, useful advise.

I think I've lost over 10 GB already though, since I deleted some unfinished downloading movies that already take up the complete movie space (one was 7,5 GB, other 1,5)