free domain name

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mbpowner, Aug 20, 2016.

1. mbpowner macrumors regular

Is there any possibility of getting a free domain name for my own forum?

Please post links as recommendations!

2. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Most domain names cost less than $20 a year so why not buy one like the rest of the world does and have complete control of it. I've never even heard of a free domain name and if there is such a thing you should not trust it.

3. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

If I did, I'd want to make a profit of it, lol

4. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

You could certainly do that. That's actually the point. If you were to use a "free" domain name that your didn't own, and then built a brand for yourself and started making a profit on your blog, you would essentially be a hostage of your free domain name's actual owner. They could then yank that domain name out from under you at any time.

Do yourself a favor, buy a good domain name from a reputable registrar like Gandi.net and you will not regret it.

5. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

but then you can't use seo can you?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    it would be something like """""."notmydomain".org
    where notmydomain is the other domain i don't own

i want to own my own, otherwise search rankings would be crappy

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

7. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

That's frustrating.
    Alright, maybe not so once I graduate and get a job.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

9. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not though... just to start out.
    I felt like creating my own forum for personalcuz I get anxiety every now and then, but it's all good.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

domains are not free, but the cost of them is so low, that it should not be a barrier, i.e., if you cannot afford the cost of a domain name, then how will you handle the cost of a hosting company for your project?

11. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

No, I can afford it, but I've decided it's not worth it. It was just a thing for fun.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I have a couple of project that don't generate revenue, but I keep the domains around because I enjoy it. It all boils down to whether its something you want to dedicate your time too.

13. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so cuz I'll be at university.

14. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

You can get a domain as cheap as 1.99 a year...why is this even a question?

15. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

Omg really?!?

Link pls
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    Also is it a trusted site?

16. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Don't buy a domain from any registrar for $1.99. However, nearly anyone would consider the normal prices of $10 to $30 from a respectable registrar affordable for even a college student.

Link pls: http://gandi.net

17. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

18. Efrem macrumors regular

You can get a free subdomain name. For example, atspace.cc (in which I have no economic or other interest) will give you yourname.atspace.cc free if you host with them, even with their low-end free hosting plan.

As for a real domain name such as yourname.com, I agree with the previous posters: pay the ten bucks.

19. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

In fact that's free regardless

I already own freeforums but no search engine availability

20. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

co.nr is a free domain service whos domain looks like co.uk but it's actually a site and your domain name is a sub-domain.

21. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

godaddy.com

Then use coupon: CJCRMN99U

22. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! Godaddy should be helpful! Can you also use SEO?

23. SeaFox, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

Summary of thread so far:

DevDream: I want a free domain name.

(Rest of Forum): Domains aren't free, just buy one, they're cheap.

DevDream: But if I had to pay for it, I'd expect to make a profit from it.

maflynn: Hobbies cost money too, ya know?

DevDream: I'm a poor college student.

(Rest of Forum): If you're that poor, you can't afford to have a website anyway.

DevDream: It's for a basic forum. Nothing too pro

Efrem: Get a subdomained forum. That's real cheap.

DevDream: I want my own domain -- nobody else's name on it. I already have free forums, but I can't use SEO.

---------------------

What happened to "this is a basic forum, nothing pro"? Why do you care so much about search engine rankings if this is not a site for a business? There is free forum software out there. There is cheap hosting out there. If you want to do this as cheap as possible YOU have to be the one to put two and two together. If you want someone to hold your hand through it all, you got to open your purse strings.

It really sounds like you're trying to find someone to host a revenue generating site for you for free. Have you ever heard the phrase "you got to spend money to make money"?

24. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly don't care about the money, I'm interested in the community. I want it to seem professional to get an active forum. Think why would someone join a sub domained ppl would automatically naturally assume that it's poor and go to a forum that has a domain, Google is most ppl find forums and through recommendations. It's hard to get recommendations without it being through a search engine that p can find it

25. SeaFox, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

You've already told us "this is a basic forum, nothing pro". Is it professional or not?

Sounds like you're not really serious about this -- so why should you expect your target audience to?

There is a disconnect here between what you are saying this project is and what you want in it. You want the street cred of your own domain and no other branding on your forum, but you aren't willing to commit to the meager financial support that needs. There are a lot of other ways of promoting a forum (or any website for that matter) than SEO. Search Engine Optimization is a business-level feature. It exists to drive traffic to specific websites for financially competitive reasons. That's not something amateur websites use. I suspect you choose it because it's easier than work of mouth, ads, siglinks and being active on other forums.

If I may be so bold:
    All you seem to want from this is "the community" and to be in an upper-level position of it. As someone who has been in online forums for 20 years, do the fandom (or whatever community this is) a favor and don't make this forum. People don't appreciate a poseur trying to "seem professional" only to become an admin-in-absentia (and if you're still in college I can see that happening real easily). Go join a preexisting forum run by someone willing to put his money where his mouth is, and maybe you can rise up the ranks the old-fashioned way.