Free download for mac os 8.5 - 9.2?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hamsterz, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Hamsterz macrumors member

Im currently in the middle of a three computer modding project, and for a performa (6200 tower I think), I am in need of a free download of an OS around 8.5-9.2.. mac ofc.. I need to reinstall via CD. It doesnt have any internet software etc so my plan is to wipe its drive.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Sorry, I don't think that it's freely available.

3. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't give away their OS software. Getting a "free copy" is a violation of their Software License Agreement and to ask for such is a forum rules violation.
    From Forum Rules:

5. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

They released a number of older classic OS for free, IE 7.5.3. I am looking for the link. Its somewhere on the apple website...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. ivnj macrumors 65816

I think I stil have 7.5.3 second revision floppy discs laying around. Would that be worth anything to you or maybe ebay them if I can find them?

8. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

if you go back a couple layers in that directory, you can get to the other OS's, up to 9. And download them for free.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The incremental updates are but not the full installers. Otherwise please link to that part of Apple's official legal download page. Though I don't have a need as I have 6.0.3 through 10.6 on floppy/CD/DVD, I'm sure some old PowerMac owners would want these.

I don't think they are able to put the newer versions of Mac OS due to licensing issues with third party software companies that provided technologies for Mac OS 7.6 and newer.

What I wonder is why Apple does not provide Lisa OS and System 0.97 to 5.1? Are they worried someone is going ruin their market by making 128K clones with System 0.97?:rolleyes:

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

For the same reason you just can't download Windows 3.1 from Microsoft.com without a licensing agreement... They don't want to.

11. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

I don't see a problem with "finding" whatever OS that computer came with.

12. pdjudd macrumors 601

Which is why, within reason, Apple will sell original restore discs for a small fee - most OEM’s do that. Like it or not, Apple has the god given right to control their OS distribution no matter how old it is (and it is not that old).

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

But it begs the question. Why release 6 through 7.5 then? It's not like those tiny System images and programs would take up much space. Releasing the others could only be to make enthusiasts happy so why distinguish between an enthusiast whom wants a Lisa or 128K running rather than say a Plus or IIgs.

They even provide on their site the GS/OS, Imagewriter drivers, Clarisworks and Newton software. I guess they decided to draw the line at computers manufactured in 1986 and beyond.