Free DVD burning software?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
1,698
19
Hi guys and gals,

Just quickly wondering if anyone can recommend some free DVD burning software for OS X. I'd love to have Toast, but it's ridiculously expensive (way more than I paid for the DVD dual layer burner+external enclosure put together!).

I need the software to produce DVDs which are universally readable.
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,075
963
New England
PCMacUser said:
I need the software to produce DVDs which are universally readable.
Video DVDs? ISO? UDF? What exactly are you looking for?

You could always just use mkisofs and cdrecord, you can get more free, basic or interoperable then that. :p Get them from fink.

B
 

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
1,698
19
balamw said:
Video DVDs? ISO? UDF? What exactly are you looking for?

You could always just use mkisofs and cdrecord, you can get more free, basic or interoperable then that. :p Get them from fink.

B
Um, I just want to back up the data (pictures, documents) on my iBook. Those acronyms just make my simple Tiger-adjusted brain go into a spin...
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,075
963
New England
PCMacUser said:
Um, I just want to back up the data (pictures, documents) on my iBook. Those acronyms just make my simple Tiger-adjusted brain go into a spin...
In that case, you can burn fully interoperable data DVDs with the built in Disk Utility. It's free too.:p Just make sure you select DVD/CD master as the Image Format.

B
 

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
1,698
19
balamw said:
In that case, you can burn fully interoperable data DVDs with the built in Disk Utility. It's free too.:p Just make sure you select DVD/CD master as the Image Format.

B
Thanks! I'll give it a go.
 

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
1,698
19
Hmm, using Disk Utility, I get an error:

'Unable to create "disk1.cdr". not recognized.'

Any ideas?
 

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
400
0
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I guess my question is a bit more basic since I do not have a Mac yet. On an iMac with iDVD, and assuming you have a SuperDrive, are you able to burn your video projects on DVD's or do you need to purchase additional software?
 

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
659
34
Trenton, FL
KevKaos said:
I guess my question is a bit more basic since I do not have a Mac yet. On an iMac with iDVD, and assuming you have a SuperDrive, are you able to burn your video projects on DVD's or do you need to purchase additional software?
That is correct. Once you import your video and edit it with iMovie (if you want any editing), you can burn it using iDVD and it will do any necessary conversions for you.
 

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
400
0
Baltimore, Maryland USA
bowens said:
That is correct. Once you import your video and edit it with iMovie (if you want any editing), you can burn it using iDVD and it will do any necessary conversions for you.
OK. That is good news. One of the big selling points for me is that most of the software I will need comes standard on the iMac. I was afraid I misunderstood what I would and would not be able to do. If I am reading your post correctly, I should be able to input my digital video via USB 2, edit it with iMovie and then output to DVD using iDVD.

Sorry for being such a Dweeb, but I have been on PC's for so long, that I don't know what to expect. Trying to learn as much as I can before I buy my Mac.
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
why couldn't one use iDVD? i've never used it (or opened the app for that matter) but isn't its purpose burning DVDs?
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
KevKaos said:
If I am reading your post correctly, I should be able to input my digital video via USB 2, edit it with iMovie and then output to DVD using iDVD.
It would be USB if your video was MPEG4. If your video is DV, it'd be FireWire. If your video is MPEG2 on a miniDVD, sell the camera and get one that takes miniDV tapes. It's not worth the trouble.
pianoman said:
why couldn't one use iDVD? i've never used it (or opened the app for that matter) but isn't its purpose burning DVDs?
The OP appears to be asking about burning data DVDs. iDVD is for video and slideshow / photo DVDs.
 

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
400
0
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Rod Rod said:
It would be USB if your video was MPEG4. If your video is DV, it'd be FireWire. If your video is MPEG2 on a miniDVD, sell the camera and get one that takes miniDV tapes. It's not worth the trouble.
Shows how much I know. :eek: I have a Panasonic Digital video camera that records onto digital tape. It only has USB2 ouput (no Firewire). I have only had the camera for less than two years and have only used it a handful of times because my PC is such a dog that it can't even handle it. Take forever to transfer to the PC, runs for a bit and then blogs down due to not having enough memory and such. Have no DVD burner and not willing to buy one for a dog system. My choices seem to be, buy a new full blown PC or buy a Mac. I'm going Mac!!!
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
Rod Rod said:
The OP appears to be asking about burning data DVDs. iDVD is for video and slideshow / photo DVDs.
thanks for the info. i'll remember that for when i need to send a video/photo slideshow.