Free Dvd Ripper???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuffles, Nov 15, 2007.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

Hey, im looking for a good free dvd ripper. I have an archos 605 wifi and i wanna put some of my dvds onto it but they need to be saved on my comp so i need to burn them on. Does anyone know of a really good free one?? Also, its for a pc not an apple. I know, i know....but im getting rid of this piece of crap Dell very soon to makeway for a macbook pro or maybe something new come jan.

Cheers,
    Shuffles.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

IF it is on Windows.... You will need a conglomeration of programs

1: RipIt4Me to mark only the movie files, ignoring the security on the disk

2: DVDShrink to then extract the VOB from the disk as a single piece

3: AutoGordianKnot to convert the VOB to an AVI (You can go from DVD to AVI with it, but extracting the VOB only takes 15-20 minutes and works a little better IMO)

3. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

free for mac... mactheripper 2.6.6 (which is very outdated and fails on many newer movies) although you can prob find one of the betas floating around the internet like mtr 3 r14d or r14f

free for windows... ripit4me, dvddecrypter, dvdshrink, imgburn, dvdfab depcypterHD are all good programs

4. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Hey TheStu

Hey TheStu,

This is gonna sound stupid but wud u be able to explain it all in a lot of detail for me?? Step by step etc?? Im not very good when it comes to these things. I dont know much so wud probably make a balls of it!!! After i download those 3 things u said wud u be able to tell me exactly wat happens next eg. put in cd...open up first program..rip cd....then open up next program...do something with that etc.

Sorry for the stupid question and thanks a mil for ure help so far.

Cheers,
    Shuffles.

5. JasperUK macrumors newbie

Shuffles - check out http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php for starters as it has a nice number of guides from the basic upwards. All the guides are animated so you can see exactly what the process is.

Failing that if you type in "dvdshrink tutorials" into good 'ol google - I noticed there were a few others to get you on the right track with dvdshrink and associated programs.

6. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Also, i think ripit4me is gone. I tried downloading it from various sites n the page kept saying 'not displayed'.

7. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

8. Bmoney017 macrumors member

If you are using mactheripper,
    On the "disc" tab in the middle of the program:
    Set the region if protection is detected. You should be able to find this out by looking at the "DISC RCE:" in the lower right part of the top window. If it says dected, choose "RCE Region: RCE 1" for north american dvds or region 1 dvds.
    On the "mode" tab:
    If you want just one VOB file, select "title extraction only" from the drop down menu. Then look in the drop down menu below that to select the main feature (usually noted as MF) and is the only one out of the multiple selections with a length the same as the main feature.

Videohelp.com also has many guides. Use VLC if you want to watch VOB files. VLC is not the only media player, but it seems to be the best.

Good luck

9. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

hey cheers for the info, im from ireland so hopefully its the same as in the US.

10. Bmoney017 macrumors member

Oh then dont select RCE 1 if you have dvds from a place other than North America. You can look right on the DVD, they usually show which region the dvd is coded for. But I know europe has a different region. You might want to get an external hard drive to put all the dvds you rip onto there so you dont use up all your internal space. Also, mactheripper does not have options to reduce the file size, when ripped, it is the same size which is on the dvd. Handbrake is useful if you want to reduce it to 1GB per movie or less and if you are going to put it on you iPod or something. videohelp.com is usually the best place to go for guides using any dvd ripping software.

11. ivan1234 macrumors regular

12. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

cool, also does anyone know of a good site for downloading free movies, tv programmes etc and also a player for downloading them with eg bittorrent etc. At the moment im using uTorrent but it seems kinda crap and im downloading stuff from www.torrentz.com but thats pretty crap as well.

Cheers,
    Shuffles.

13. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

It workey guys, cheers. I put war of the worlds onto my archos 605 wifi. Took bout 10 mins to do. All I used was DVD Shrink, n then transferred it straight onto my player. The only thing is that its in 5 sections but i dont mind that at all, it jst 5 parts. Im sure theres prob a way to make it all into 1 part but its a much of a muchness to me. Thanks for everything guys, seriously. Ive been trying to do this for weeks n cudnt sort it!! Especially thanks to TheStu and JasperUK. DVD Shrink and the tutorial were savage!!!

Thanks again,
    Shuffles.

14. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

15. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

yea, same here

16. TheStu macrumors 65816

For that you need to go into the Options (forget where exactly since I haven't used it for a while) and uncheck the 'Split VOB into 1GB Chunks' box. Then it will be extracted as one large one.

You may also want to check out Handbrake on Windows (if you are looking to convert and compress). I haven't used it in a few versions, so I can't speak to its usability or ability.

17. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

cool, ill check that out when i get home. Its not that annoying to have it split into 5 parts but sure i suppose it wud be easier if it was all in 1. Cheers. ALso, is there a good free torrent downloader out there other than bittorrent or utorrent etc and a good place to download free movies/tv etc from ?

Shuffles

18. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, the torrent downloader we can help you with... on Windows, Azureus or uTorrent are my choice, for OS X, Transmission.

As for a site. No, I can not give you that information *cough* GOOGLE *cough*