Free DVD to ISO Ripping Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Sep 8, 2011.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I am looking to make backups of our home movie collection to my new NAS in case the DVDs ever go bad. I have been looking for software that will rip the DVDs to an ISO file.

I have seen several pay options, but are there any good free DVD to ISO ripping programs? MacTheRipper will rip to a folder, but I would prefer an ISO.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

For free, Disk Utility is the way to go, and it's already installed; just make sure you select the option to create a CD/DVD master. I've used it successfully to duplicate unprotected video DVDs, as well.

This probably isn't necessary given that you're only ripping a few family DVDs, but if you have a lot of discs, I'd recommend getting a copy of MDRP (Mac DVD Ripper Pro). It lists for $20, but can often be found on sale at MacUpdate or as part of a bundle for $10 or less, and it's extremely good for ripping large quantities of DVDs, since it can be set to rip a disc as soon as it is inserted and spit it out when it's done; it also is pretty good about working around read errors on flakey discs.

4. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

How doI use Dick Utility to rip a DVD to ISO? I've never seen that option.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

6. realchimera macrumors regular

These day you can easily find all kind of instructions of anything not only in words, but also in videos (youtube).

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That link tells you how to make a dvd from an iso/disk image. To create an iso/disk image from a dvd, from Disk Image Help: