Free E-Mail and Mail

cmaracz88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Toronto, ON
Recently working out my household's communication products (aka getting cellphones) has, through a varried set of processes, led me to think that it might be a good idea to get a non-isp provided e-mail address. I was thinking, are any of the major free e-mail clients (like hotmail, yahoo, msn, gmail, etc.) compatible with the mac Mail client, as well as other remote viewing such as on a cellphone? I think hotmail only works with the newer version of outlook on windows xp, but maybe the others do a bit better in this respect.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yahoo and gmail both work with mail, i have three gmail accounts set up with mail with no problems

im not sure about getting them through the cell phones though sorry

(ps if you need a gmail invite there is a thread over in the community section for it stickied)

sirius1722

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Seattle-area, WA
Gmail is probably your best bet for a free email service, although I have both Gmail and Hotmail set up in Mail.app. Gmail gives you more storage and POP3 access so if you have a mobile phone that supports it and have data enabled on your account, you can manage your mail through your mobile. Not to mention, when you do need to go on the web to check mail, Gmail's interface is lightning quick, IMO.

Gmail is still invite only, so if you need an invite, PM me or wait until April 1st, when Gmail is rumored to go public.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Rod Rod said:
Hotmail works with OS X Mail by way of a neat app called httpmail. Look it up at versiontracker.
Thanks for the tip here. It works great. Yahoo, by the way, won't allow any remote checking of their email unless you have a paid service with them.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
may i note that pop3 access with gmail will probably not remain free. eventually they will charge for it.

if anyone needs an invite, i have 50 sitting here waiting for people to send to. if you want it, let me know in a PM and i'll send one. just provide an email addy.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Logik said:
may i note that pop3 access with gmail will probably not remain free. eventually they will charge for it.

if anyone needs an invite, i have 50 sitting here waiting for people to send to. if you want it, let me know in a PM and i'll send one. just provide an email addy.
why would they start charging for it? i dont see this happening and i hope it does not, they already offer it free, i dont think they would go back on that

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
why would they start charging for it? i dont see this happening and i hope it does not, they already offer it free, i dont think they would go back on that
they've already said it won't be free forever. i'll find a link somewhere but i am in class and heading home in about 2 minutes.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Logik said:
they've already said it won't be free forever. i'll find a link somewhere but i am in class and heading home in about 2 minutes.
cool i hadn't heard about it not always being fee, be interesting to read about it then

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
cool i hadn't heard about it not always being fee, be interesting to read about it then
correction, appears they've changed their tune since i last checked. so you can be safe knowing you should always have pop access free of charge.

The Gmail Team is committed to making sure you always can access your mail. That's why we're offering POP access and auto-forwarding. Both features are free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge for them in the future.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
floatingspirit said:
Thanks for the tip here. It works great. Yahoo, by the way, won't allow any remote checking of their email unless you have a paid service with them.
Cool, I'm glad it works for you. It's good to know about Yahoo not working with OS X Mail w/o a paid account, so thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.