Free Energy?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060817/sc_nm/technology_energy_dc_1

An Irish technology firm issued a challenge to the world's scientific community on Friday to give its verdict on technology it says smashes one of the basic laws of physics by producing "free energy."

Dublin-based Steorn said it had placed an advertisement in The Economist magazine seeking 12 top physicists to examine the technology -- based on the interaction of magnetic fields -- and publish their results.

"We fully accept there is going to be cynicism surrounding this but what we're saying to the world of science is come and prove us wrong," said Steorn Chief Executive Sean McCarthy.

"The answer to the question we're posing is too big not to look," he added.

The concept of "free energy" -- which contradicts the first law of thermodynamics that in layman's terms states you cannot get more energy out than you put in -- has divided the scientific community for centuries.

The Internet is awash with claims to have cracked the problem using magnets, coils and even crystals.

McCarthy, a founder of Steorn in 2000, said the company discovered the technology while using magnets to try to devise more efficient wind generators and had spent the past three years developing it.

"We put in a small amount of mechanical energy and we get a large amount out ... but until this thing is validated by science we won't be doing anything commercial with it," he said.
Could solve some political problems as well. OK all ya physics brains, jump on this.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
The only way to truly get FREE energy is to develop some sort of zero-point energy extractor that can pull energy from the quantum level (10^-33 cm) scale... at that level, it's believed that energy is constantly being created and destroyed (so as to conserve ZERO energy). If you could separate the two sides of the equation from each other, you could harness each side and get "free" energy.

Of course, the technology to do this is probably hundreds of years in the future, if ever.

See Arthur C. Clarke (3001: The Final Odyssey, The Songs of Distant Earth) et al for more on zero-point energy.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
There is no such thing as free energy. It's entirely possible that we get more energy out in one form than we put in in one, but if we do, then there must also be another force acting on it.

Nobody really knows exactly how magnetism works, so we can't say that the energy being created by magnets is 'free'.

Mind you though, I don't know how they do this so I'm still undecided. It would be really cool if they could do this though. License it to Apple only, and let the Dells keep on bursting into flames :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
clayj said:
The only way to truly get FREE energy...
Well, that or run an extension cord to the neighbor's outdoor outlet.

Of course, things like solar and wind energy are, effectively, free after the initial investment.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
jsw said:
Well, that or run an extension cord to the neighbor's outdoor outlet.

Of course, things like solar and wind energy are, effectively, free after the initial investment.
True. The problem is that solar panels are still expensive and no one has yet developed a way to put a giant farm of them in orbit, where there's no cloud cover, so that they can beam energy down to the surface.

And windmills are hated by NIMBYs because they ugly up the skylines of ridges and because sometimes they kill birds.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
clayj said:
True. The problem is that solar panels are still expensive and no one has yet developed a way to put a giant farm of them in orbit, where there's no cloud cover, so that they can beam energy down to the surface.

And windmills are hated by NIMBYs because they ugly up the skylines of ridges and because sometimes they kill birds.
I also might like to add is on solar pannels wind and all that stuff we are getting close to there maxium theorical effiency. Solar pannals are being pretty close to there max (30%ish or so) right now. So is most of our renewible sorces of engery. They are just being push to there max theoricial effiecny.

Now I really dont seem him breaking the first law and I dont buy it.

(just for random infomation you know you car is only like 30-40% effience and the max we can push it is about 60%)

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
well its not 'free'. The article clearly says you need to put mechanical energy in....

Ok so this could be by a wind turbine but to me the 'free' in this article is the wrong word to use. A more 'efficient' method for generating energy is in my mind more accurate.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
eenu said:
well its not 'free'. The article clearly says you need to put mechanical energy in....

Ok so this could be by a wind turbine but to me the 'free' in this article is the wrong word to use. A more 'efficient' method for generating energy is in my mind more accurate.
According to the article's source, you put a small amount in and get a large amount out - some of which you could put back in, thus making it produce energy from nothing.

If true, it's free.

It's likely not true, though.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I've been told that if you irradiate lead with a beam of sun light passing a 6.66 carat diamond at 3:14pm on the summer solstice, you can turn it into to gold. :rolleyes:

:p

The only things that get free energy are bacteria, and by extension so do we: oil is a mineral resource and hence is free for us to take. Furthermore you need less energy to produce it that its production yields. This free energy however has two major drawbacks:
1) reserves are not infinite
2) people fight over the damn stuff (because it's free) and drive its price to stupid levels...

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
whocares said:
I've been told that if you irradiate lead with a beam of sun light passing a 6.66 carat diamond at 3:14pm on the summer solstice, you can turn it into to gold. :rolleyes:
Yes, but you forgot that the irradiation must take place for exactly 42 seconds. Any less and nothing happens. Any more and Earth gets vaporized.

2) people fight over the damn stuff (because it's free) and drive its price to stupid levels...
Amen.

It would be great to have a perpetual motion device... but until I the physicists finish their study I'll continue to fill up at the local shell station. ;)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
ejb190 said:
Sorry. Oil is decayed plant material, not a "mineral resource".
Sorry, but [crude] oil is in fact decayed organic material of various origins (mostly bacterial; plants typically produce coal, lignite, etc.) and is considered to be a rock just like granite, limestone or coal. ;) :p

But I agree the term "natural resource" is best suited. Please bear in mind I posted at 1:18am. :eek:

Don't get pedantic on rocks with a geologist. ;)

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Nice of them to turn it into an open challenge, but I doubt anything will ever come of this. What's this company's background? I mean, how long have they been around and what have they been up to until now?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
hayduke said:
Cold fusion debacle.

'nuf said.
The "cold fusion" effect was later explained to be caused by the electron in Hydrogen atoms falling into a previously unknown orbit closer to the nucleus and releasing energy as it did so. Hundreds of teams across the world have stated that they replicated the experiment and published their findings in scientific journals. Martin Fleischman and Stanley Pons continued to work on it and developed prototype vehicles powered by ordinary water for Toyota, but it's gone very quiet for the past few years.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Uma888 said:
didnt Nikola Tesla design something that would generate energy via the kinetic energy created by the earths rotation?
He probably theorized about it.

It is true that the Earth itself contains enough energy (heat within its molten core, plus kinetic, magnetic, etc.) to power a civilization like ours for MILLIONS of years, if not longer... if only we could harness it. And if we could do that, we'd surely have solved most of our other existing problems already.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
clayj said:
He probably theorized about it.

It is true that the Earth itself contains enough energy (heat within its molten core, plus kinetic, magnetic, etc.) to power a civilization like ours for MILLIONS of years, if not longer... if only we could harness it. And if we could do that, we'd surely have solved most of our other existing problems already.
Not being a physics genius by any means, I think that we can all agree that there is enough energy in the universe to make it free for everyone and that eventually, even though many would disagree, we will find a way to get all the free energy we need. Like Clay said, it really has less to do with producing free energy, but more of a way to harness it. Energy makes up everything, we just need a really advanced lighting rod. I personally beleive that mankind already has. But the sudden discovery and implementation of a device like this would cripple economies and start wars. Because of this, you can be sure that it won't be released next tuesday or many tuesdays after that.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Metatron said:
................................................ But the sudden discovery and implementation of a device like this would cripple economies and start wars. Because of this, you can be sure that it won't be released next tuesday or many tuesdays after that.

ah, that's the reason they never released the Powerbook G5. Because we could harness the excess energy from the processor heat to produce electricity. now everthing is clear......

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Steorn said:
During 2005 Steorn embarked on a process of independent validation and approached a wide selection of academic institutions. The vast majority of these institutions refused to even look at the technology, however several did. Those who were prepared to complete testing have all confirmed our claims; however none will publicly go on record.
(link)

I'm glad to see that they're already preparing their Big Coverup angle. No perpetual motion machine is complete without one!

Next up will be a non-stop series of problems beyond their control. All will somehow interfere with their earnest desire to get prototypes in the hands of the thousand or so researchers who have already signed up to their challenge. :p