Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ljw1976

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
seen a few via youtube i.e Operation 7

looks amazing and is free..but ive downloaded a few games..and they are not dmg files..and are exe files..and as im still new to this kinda downloading.im not sure how to open these files..can anyone help me on waht software i need to open these files and start playing some games...much appreciated once again mac lovers

Ljw1976

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
so how ??and what suggestions u have so i can play these free games..?

Ljw1976

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
it doesnt really answer my question does it..!!

cos i have seen on youtube some other people using another software so i was expecting someone with a answer that betters using windows..and thats why i switched to mac..

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
It does answer your question. You could run VMWare or Parallels Desktop, but either solution will offer you mediocre graphics acceleration. Running Windows natively through Boot Camp (included in both Leopard and Snow Leopard) will allow you to run said free game nicely. The only thing you'll need is a legal copy of Windows.

If you're in it mainly for the games, you're on the wrong platform. I do game regularly on my MacBook, though, and am perfectly happy with using Boot Camp and Windows Vista for my gaming needs.

Ljw1976

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
thanks for that..and now downlaoding aa....any advice on any more similar games on dmg only...??

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
thanks for that..and now downlaoding aa....any advice on any more similar games on dmg only...??

DMG is short for Disk IMage, as the name says, an image (1:1 copy) of a disk, or just an image of a folder. DMGs use the file suffix .dmg.
.dmgs are native to Mac OS X.

With that said, .dmg files aren't the only files that will work on a Mac.

Some games are delivered in a compressed archive, like a .zip or .rar file for example.

Have you taken a look at http://www.macupdate.com or http://www.versiontracker.com or a sufficient web search engine with the terms "free fps (or first person shooter) games for Mac OS X"?
You can search this forums via MRoolge (my sig).

Also a better thread title could cater to the right audience and asking a mod to move this thread to the Apple Games sub forum via the Report Post icon might get you better attention.

zao8350

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
urban terror is pretty good for a free mac fps, though it is only multiplayer.

your posts make little sense, if it is a .dmg then just double click it. it will mount and you just click run the installer or copy it to your apps folder.

SebZen

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Honestly all Mac FPS games suck. Your best and most recent bet is Quake Wars, but even then it's not that great of a game and is pretty old now. Also Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (the first one, second one isn't out on Macs)

A fun and free one is http://sauerbraten.org/ Can be a blast online if you got good twitch skills and a decent mouse.

Oh, and Quake Live is even better (forgot about that one)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.