Free Gift with MacBook Pro Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billysea, Mar 12, 2008.

1. billysea macrumors regular

Does Apple do it every year? Last year they gave out free iPod Nano to students who bought their MBP/MB etc. Was it the first time they did it, should I expect them to do it again this year?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It's a promotion that has happened for at least 4 years. Probably longer. Yes, I expect it to happen again in June.

3. billysea thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. Give me more reason to wait till June to get my MBP.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I don't know if $150 would justify it for me. They are newly refreshed good time to buy. Also, you'd get over 3 more months use from it if you get it now.

5. billysea thread starter macrumors regular

Well.. with the rumor new MBP coming in/soon after June and with the free iPod, I think I should wait.

6. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

If you can wait.. then just do it. No point in buying something prematurely in a world where technology is moving at the speed of light. hehe. Anyways, the ipod deal is probably the best deal that apple does every year. I would've waited but I needed a MBP now. Sucks for me.. or does it?!?!

-JoE

7. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

well a new apple reseller opened up in my city and he's offering rebates on all the accessories as well as altec lansing speakers wit every mac... :apple::D

8. nhaque macrumors member

exactly, just wait and buy when you feel its the right time or when your cant wait/need it :D

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

True, but just don't wait forever. There will always be something new coming out, and the second you buy something, it won't be the newest model for long.

10. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Yaup your absolutely right. But I was just pointing out that the best deal would be getting your MBP when apple has the free ipod deal. I think that is the best deal that apple offers every year and if the OP can wait then they should buy it during that time. Its a double-edged sword with technology, its cool to have it progress but sucks to the regular consumer.

-JoE

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah they do it every summer to entice the new purchases for students who are getting new machines.

12. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i bought one this morning.
    got a $100 rebate for a printer.
    i chose a printer, it's canon that's 99.95
    so basically i got the printer for free, not that i need another one.
    but i think it's still a good deal.
    you can buy other printers ranging from 150-499 and still enjoy the 100 rebate

13. pazreal macrumors regular

I've taken advantage of the ipod deal a few times and always just ebay the ipod for an increased "discount" on my machines. I would agree that it is probably the best deal they have every year.

14. Kurios91 macrumors newbie

What do you think the gift this year would be?

15. pazreal macrumors regular

I think the nanos last year had a value of like $200 so this year it will likely be whatever is selling for $200 at the time. Also you were able to opt to apply the $200 to a more expensive iPod, so that will probably stay the same.

16. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I can bet the 4 GB Video Nanos are gonna be a good hit this summer. I'm definitely anxious until then!

17. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Have they always come out in June? When I got my PB they was the first time I remember them doing the iPod deal, and I got mine in June;however, I think the deal was end of July/September?

18. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i usually buy from the refurbished store..
    but i also buy new from the local store.
    this morning i got myself a baseline MBP..

anyway, if you're buying new..
    best time to buy is " when it's released"
    so right now is the time to buy a penryn based MBP

if you'll be buying in the summer, chances are there'll be an update by august or november and you'll feel bad, even though you got the ipod that you paid xxxx amount for an MBP that will be upgraded in a few months time.

just imagine the people who bought the SR 2.2 MBP last dec.
    some of them want to exchange and get the 2.4 Penryn right now.
    unfortunately that's mre than14 days

19. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Maybe we can expect an update to occur in Fall as opposed to summer? It seems like Apple can look forward to pushing a lot of 'old' MBP from inventories with the free iPod giveaway, and then bring the new one out and not have to worry about clearance for all the 'old' MBPs. I have a PB G4 now, and it is going to last me (maybe for a long time), but I am going to make a move in July because I have had this one for 4 yrs of uni, and now have 4 more years of school- so i want a fresh machine. I can also hook my bro up with a fairly nice PB :)

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So far me and my family have bought 3 Macs in the last 3 months. Each time we were offered the printer. When you already own a workgroup color laser, a performance scanner, a mfp, and a high-end photoprinter. All those printers get tedious to store.

Also the ink is expensive. I don't know about the Canon, but I know the HP uses like 1 catridge for 3 colors which I hate.