Free Google app - how to launch Google Maps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sinnerman49, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Sinnerman49 macrumors member

I love the voice-search function of the Google app, but when I search for a location, it shows an in-browser map of it. If i click on it, there's an option to "Open in Google Maps" - when I click OKAY, nothing happens.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

You should be able to launch Google Maps by taping the icon that looks like two arrows pointing down, which is located beside the microphone icon, which is beside the search box.
    The drop down that pops up will say Open in Safari. When you do Google Maps iPhone app will open instead and not Safari :p

3. Sinnerman49 thread starter macrumors member

I see the down arrows, but when I click "Open in Safari" - it opens up Safari, not Google Maps.

However, if I click on the map image in SAFARI, I can then select Open in Google Maps.

I wish there was a way to cut out the extra step and just be able to directly launch Google Maps from the Google App.....

Any ideas?

(Thanks for the help!)

4. draz macrumors 6502a

I was able to tap on the mini map image in the Google App, which made it full size then did the drop down and selected Open in Safari, which then opened the iPhone Maps app.

But either way you do it it is still an extra step... I'm sure one of these months Google will support Voice Search for iPhone Maps. Or whenever Apple requests them to do so.

Also I am not totally sure but perhaps there could be a Navigation app out there that might support voice searching.