Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I'm running out of space on my MacBooks internal HD, and need to free some space. I heard there was a way to delete languages and extra drivers to get several GB of space. I've also heard this destroys Rosetta, which I certainly don't to be destroyed. Suggestions?

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Yeah seriously, I deleted the architecture on my Macbook and couldn't figure out why Rosetta wouldn't run. Then I had to reinstall Tiger to get it working again :-/

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
also, you can delete the iDVD themes (Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > iDVD > Themes) and GarageBand loops (Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > Apple).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Considering that there's a post from someone who did that about once a week on MR, you'd think the authors of these programs would put in big blatant warnings against stripping architecture.... It's almost become a dead giveaway now when someone complains that no programs will run on their new Mac and they cannot install anything.

I personally have to say that I think getting rid of GB and iWeb are much better choices if you don't use them. Doesn't iMovie HD also take up a fair amount of space? Between the three you get back... what.... well over 2 gigs?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Don't forget printer drivers.

I freed up a couple of gigs on my iBook by removing all the Epson printer drivers since I don't have an Epson printer.

B

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I freed up a couple of gigs on my iBook by removing all the Epson printer drivers since I don't have an Epson printer.

I thought the footprint of the whole default OS X install (not including iLife, etc) was only about 3-4 gigs... are you sure there are really 2 gigs of Epson drivers?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I thought the footprint of the whole default OS X install (not including iLife, etc) was only about 3-4 gigs... are you sure there are really 2 gigs of Epson drivers?
It was definitely around a gig for just the Epson drivers. I was shocked. I eliminated a few other brands as well.

B

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Here are my recommendations:

- remove GarageBand, iDVD and iWeb if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
- check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
- use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
- use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac
- lastly, you could always use AppZapper to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted

And with Monolingual, yes, if you are using an Intel-based mac, uncheck all the Architectures selections or else Rosetta, among other things, will simply not work.

That should just about do it. :cool:

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I'm going to delete languages and printer drivers, but I use the iLife suite so I'm not deleting them. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
In my first year at Uni i only have a 12 Gb harddrive and now 3 years later I have about 800Gbs of harddrive space in total, crazy.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
In my first year at Uni i only have a 12 Gb harddrive and now 3 years later I have about 800Gbs of harddrive space in total, crazy.
There are plenty of us around who remember 5 MB hard drives being a luxury item, back in the day of 400 KB floppies. :p It wasn't that long ago...

B

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
There are plenty of us around who remember 5 MB hard drives being a luxury item, back in the day of 400 KB floppies. :p It wasn't that long ago...

Actually, it was. We just don't think so because we're old. If it makes you feel better, I remember running a whole hospital off a 20 MB drive. It was the size of a washing machine and shook like one too.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Actually, it was. We just don't think so because we're old. If it makes you feel better, I remember running a whole hospital off a 20 MB drive. It was the size of a washing machine and shook like one too.

LOL. It was only 20 years ago or so, still within the Macintosh era.... OK, so that's probably older than most users on MR...

I've still got some 160K 8" floppies around somewhere.... :p

B

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006

I was listening to a story the other day of somebody who just did some work for the Geogian health service, and they still run a 300 bed hosital of a PC no bigger than that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.