Free HDD space secure shredder ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thorsonb, Aug 30, 2010.

1. thorsonb macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a free shredder program for my mac,

I read recely that when you delete files from the Trash bin it's not really deleted, OSX just "forgets" where it is.... wish sounds alot like windows to me.

I recently started to use this program Permanent Eraser which claims to do the 35 pass shred aka Gutmann and i like it..

but now what about the old files that OSX "forgotten the location" ? How do i get these shredded and removed forever!

I'm planning on giving my Mac to a friend, i know the OSX disc came with a shredder thingy, but that wipes the entire HDD, i'm giving my Mac with the software's i have installed to a friend.

Any suggestions on a OSX app, that can shred the free HDD space and also get rid of the "forgotten" files locations?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Use the erase free space function in Disk Utility.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

A hard drive is not just paper. You cannot "shred" it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you knew what he meant.

5. thorsonb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhhh I didnt see that there :)

uhmmm can you just give me a laymans guide on how to use it and not erase my files and/or software that are currently on my Mac :)...

How does work anyways? Does it do like Defragmentation of the HDD first, and move files around, so the free space is one large section?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just start Disk Utility and select the drive you want on the left, then click the erase tab. You will see the Erase Free Space button there. Click it and select which level of overwrite you want. This writes over free space with zeroes so it cannot be accessed. The more levels of overwrite you select the longer this will take. I don't believe it defrags or moves any files... it just overwrites space the file system shows and free.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Rather than Permanent Eraser, you could have just used "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder menu.

9. thorsonb thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry 7 times might not just be enough for me :)

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

A true, security minded friend would wipe the drive clean then restored with a fresh install , then any freeware/shareware/unmentionables.

Just saying. If you used the machine, you may have sensitive stuff dispersed all throughout the system, not just in your user space (desktop, documents folder etc).