Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
From a single file, RAW or any other format, you can only get the dynamic range that your camera can capture in one exposure. (clip) it's _not_ HDR and all you can do is tone mapping

I think you nailed it -- most people think of an "HDR image" as what the program exports to: an 8-bit tonemapped JPG output.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Or this morning, with a new version download.

What spam?

The 'spam' is the fact that rowlands, who is clearly involved with the development of the HDRtist application, posted nearly the same comment with the markup of <shameless plug> in a nearly two-year-old thread to continue to advertise his product.

That's spamming the forums. It's not like someone asked this question yesterday.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The 'spam' is the fact that rowlands, who is clearly involved with the development of the HDRtist application, posted nearly the same comment with the markup of <shameless plug> in a nearly two-year-old thread to continue to advertise his product.

That's spamming the forums. It's not like someone asked this question yesterday.
Ahah...didn't catch that. Good call.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
At least he called it a "shameless plug." I wouldn't exactly call it spam, though. I didn't see it in my inbox plugging up my email system.

I'm not all that impressed with the software, BTW. There is no control, really - just one slider. I guess it's good for those who want to do so-called "HDR" without learning anything - but the results become repetitive and non-interesting. Just my opinion... so you get what you pay for, I guess. And results based on how much time you take to learn a new skill - still remains true.

rowlands

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
Taiwan
Hi Guys,
I didn't mean to upset anyone. If you can tell me how to remove my posts I'll do so.

Thanks.

MacCanon

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
true HDR

you will never get similar results with just one RAW image, no matter which program you use. you will only get the range of that one RAW image, no matter how many copies of the image you stack in layers or merge via HDR creation software, such as photomatix (which is the best, and most affordable, especially for students).
im a photography major, and a lot of time was spent on HDR for commercial purposes since the results are stunning.
the only way to get TRUE HDR effects is to use 3 or more images: one under exposed, one over exposed, and one properly exposed, and any other level in between those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.