Free HE AppleCare Uplift?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by conkerbot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. conkerbot macrumors member

Hello,

Well I got a rMBP through Apple's University online store in the UK about a month ago. I knew that it came with a 3 year hardware warranty that wasn't AppleCare, but I wasn't concered about having the phone support and global coverage so I didn't get the uplift with it.

However, last night (a month after I purchased my rMBP) I received an email from Apple thanking me for purchasing the AppleCare Contract Uplift and giving me the certificate for AppleCare. While I am not complaining, I find it very weird that this has occurred. The only thing that I could think would explain it would be that the top of the certificate mentions "Campus Rep", so it could somehow be linked to Apple's Campus Rep for my Uni... whoever he or she is :confused:

So has anyone else had this happen or know why it might? Thanks :)

2. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it helps, but check this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1402403

I did the same as you, though I only got one-year free Applecare to start with, but chased Apple on this and got moved to three years free Applecare (w/o extended phone support)

3. conkerbot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, sounds like Apple is a bit all over the place with their HE warranties. What's weird though is I never called them, immediately was given the 3 year HE warranty and now without asking have apparently been upgraded to AppleCare. Well, I've got the certificate, so if I ever need a repair and it is disputed I can show that.

4. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

I've bought many over the years and what happens is basically a delay.

Initially when you buy it shows 1 year - and then automatically after a few months a certificate comes and it shows 3 years.

I'm not sure what process happens within Apple during the delay but it seems automatic and reliable.

5. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Just to be sure, have you checked your coverage here?:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

6. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

anyone know if we can get the 3 yrs for free in store? I have it on my MacBook Pro now but I'm selling it Frida for a rMBP but when i ask in store no one knows haha just dont want to wait for skipping!

7. conkerbot thread starter macrumors member

Checked warranty status, says I have the free HE warranty but could take a few days to update if I have been given free AppleCare