Free Healthy Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by macduke, Apr 15, 2015.

1. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

So I just found out today that I can essentially get a free (or mostly free for SS) Apple Watch. You guys should look into this also. Apparently my company offers health incentives for filling out some surveys and making an account through Cerner, getting a screening, getting a flu shot, signing a health pledge, and being active through using things like the Apple Watch to track steps taken, etc. I think companies are starting to do this to get healthier employees and lower their insurance cost. It's pretty much a win-win for everyone. I get the first part of the money next month, and the rest this autumn for completing the healthy tasks. All told I think I can get around $500 cash. Not for an HSA, it's actual money I can spend on whatever.

I've been a fence sitter for a long time with the Apple Watch, but this incentive removes the cost barrier and will push me to use the Watch to improve my health—and I've been working towards being more active lately anyway so it works out. So yeah, see if your company offers something like this. I was pretty clueless about it. SS Mikanese 42mm here I come! Well probably. Still need to try it on next month!

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

My insurance will pay me $20 a month if I go to the gym at least 12 times. I wonder if they have any other incentives.

3. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I have Cigna and they offer health incentives also! I can essentially obtain a watch for free!

4. macduke thread starter macrumors 604

macduke

Good to hear! I hope other people look into this. I'm not really unhealthy (my numbers usually come back good, blood pressure is borderline and definitely genetic) but I could definitely stand to lose a few pounds and I think I could improve my immune system by getting into better shape and eating a little better. But getting an essentially free Apple Watch out of it motivates me even more to reach the goals of the program!

It's funny—I wasn't planning on getting the iPad at launch either. I believed in it, thought it was neat, but didn't have a lot of spare money since I was in college. But then my sister told me about this online college book renting place that gives out gift cards for referrals. I posted my discount code on RetailMeNot and ended up getting about $500 in Visa gift cards (back then it was $5/referral) from the 100 or so kids who used the code. My sister ended up getting somewhere between $1500-2000. She got a MacBook and I got an iPad. The original iPhone I had saved up a long time (2005 to 2007) to get since I didn't have much money back then. Today I'm solid financially but I'm a budget nazi so I had a hard time justifying it. I'm so glad I found out about this plan!

I hope this program will run every year. From what I can tell it seems to be new, but I could use this to get a new Apple Watch every year, haha! Hopefully if Apple upgrades the watch next year they will let you buy it without bands for cheaper. I'm thinking the Milanese should last me a while. Might pick up the Link down the road if I like it.

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Sent off an email to my Benefits department. Let's see if they have any news on this. Thanks for the heads up.

6. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I work for myself... I am gifting myself with a free watch too!

7. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Hah! Like that.

8. macduke thread starter macrumors 604

macduke

Hope it works out! At least you might be able to get a free FitBit or class or something. Ours is cash for completing certain tasks, which we have to keep track of or use an internet service that can connect to the data. Somehow our online account with a third party, Cerner, ties into this. I've got the first steps done to get the money in May, and the stuff due this autumn is related to fitness programs like walk a million steps, bike 500 miles, take a health related class (which we get for free), etc. There is also a rebate for a FitBit if we complete the tasks as well. I might get it and give it to my grandparents who don't have a smart phone but have an iPad. They're pretty active for their age as it is!

If your companies don't support this yet I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing so over the next several years. Health care costs are going up rapidly in many areas and incentivizing employees to be healthier can help cut costs. Everyone wins!