Free hosting that allows website directory access?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mkrishnan, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi, this is a strange request, but does anyone know of a free hosting site that would respect directory access for a directory of arbitrary files (that is, if enabled, the browser acts as a very simple file navigator when there is no index.html file)?

The reason I'm looking for this is that it comes in really handy to dump files in a site like this for transfer to certain devices (e.g. blackberry, WM devices) that are picky about how they receive files (e.g. not willing to receive Bluetooth push), but are willing to download files in their browsers.

I know of free file shares like Quickshareit, but the ones I know zip files, which doesn't typically work. Otherwise, something like Quickshareit that provided raw access to a PDF, MP3, etc, would be perfect.

Thanks! :)

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I know this isn't really what you're looking for, but it's really easy to write a PHP script that prints out the contents of a directory. So if you can just find a free host with PHP, you can essentially do it yourself.

3. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Good luck finding a free host with PHP though. If you leave your computer on 24/7, you could get a dynamic DNS alias and do your own hosting... not a good idea for a public web server, but for your limited purposes it might work.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, so the PHP script would generate a page that renders in the browser with the names? That's not a bad idea.... Thank you! :)

5. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just wanted to follow up and note that... at some point, Yahoo / Geocities (which I tried randomly again because I used to host my homepage there in the day, so I had an account) now seems to allow this. I'll have to see if they make a flap about me putting ringtone files in a hidden folder of my webpage, though. :eek: