Free Hotmail Forwarding??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, May 4, 2008.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hey!
    Iv looked and looked and have yet to find a FREE way to forward my hotmail account to my @mac.com account or even just forward it to Mail App.:confused: If anyone has any ideas or has herd of any FREE apps please let me know!! :) :apple:

Thanks alot guys :cool:

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Hotmail requires you to pay for their preimum service in order for you to be able to use POP3 or IMAP protocols with a desktop client. Gmail offers free of both though.

3. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

How long have you had your hotmail account? If it's pre-2002, you may be able to forward your hotmail messages. That was when hotmail was still POP3. Now, they just stick to all of us.

4. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Yeah, when Hotmail and Yahoo kind of started they didn't mind you downloading e-mails direct to your desktop via Mac mail or Outlook.

But then they realised that in doing this people wouldn't see the ads on their mail sites. So therefore, post 2002, they decided to charge for free POP.

5. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

8. Dolina macrumors newbie

I've tried the MacFreePOP thing, (currently running) and I've played with all of the settings and everything, and I can't make it work. I have Leopard, using thunderbird, trying to get hotmail and yahoo web mail.:confused:

9. MatchFrame macrumors member

This definitely works. I set this up with 3 of my 4 Hotmail accounts for Mail.app, and it works just fine so far (for the last month or so).

The 4th of my Hotmail accounts was created post-2002, and it won't work. BUT, since Hotmail does let you forward your mail to another Hotmail account, I forward it to one of my functioning accounts and set up a Smart Mailbox in Mail.app that grabs those emails. It works decently enough, although I can't actually send email from this account through Mail.app, which is a pain.

In other words, post-2002 Hotmail sucks. You are not alone in your frustration.

10. Dolina macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I've tried that, and I don't have anything to forward it to (just the newest and greatest @gmail). I think I'm just going to give up, and check the remainder of my Hotmail days through the internet browser. I give up, Hotmail wins.

11. hotmailforwarde macrumors newbie

Hotmail Forwarder

You can now forward your Hotmail emails to ANY other email address for FREE! Not only that, but there are no downloads required!

http://www.hotmailforwarder.com

12. Dolina macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpqv4Sy6OA&feature=related

try that. i did it, and the next thing i knew, i was reading about the fourms in Thunderbird.

13. Joypebble macrumors newbie

Who would want to jeapordize the security of your e-mail accounts by passing through an un-certified third party? I wouldn't.

My solution is going to be to simply phase out my Hotmail connecetion and do business with Gmail for the forwarding feature.
    ---JP