Free ibook upgrade worth the time?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tigermuzik, Jul 10, 2008.

1. tigermuzik macrumors newbie

tigermuzik

Hi guys been registered on this forum for awhile thought it would be a good as time as any to start posting. So Hi to everyone!

Here is my scenario. I had the last gen ibook 12" 1.33GHz, which broke. However the logic board is intact and a couple other parts.

I got an ibook the other day for internet browsing, lite mobile recording and itunes. What i was thinking of doing was upgrading to the 1.33GHz from 1.2. This would also give me bluetooth (airport is installed on the current ibook) and give me more ram due to the 1.33 logic board having 512 on board ram, and my current logic board having 256 (i have a 512 module in the current ibook) so this would give me 1gig of ram. The onboard video would go from the radion 9200 to 9550.

Can i do this? and is the time worth the jumps?

1.2GHZ --> 1.33GHZ
    768mb --> 1024mb RAM
    9200 --> 9550
    No Bluetooth --> Bluetooth

I will be keeping it awhile for certain software that won't run on a intel-mac so im considering upgrading the hard drive (faster and bigger) and the combo drive toa super drive.

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yes. Why not? also, if you are going to keep it for a while you will be better off with a PowerBook G4 or an iMac G5.